How did Christianity persecute polytheism?

Oct 2019
Budapest
No Christianity did not persecuted any other religion, it just simply stated, that other religions did not give you the chance to go to the heaven.

Only some Christian churches and their leaders persecuted anything, but not the religion itself.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I've not insulted you or called your posts crap, but you are insulting me...

Btw, try telling an Ulster Protestant that their religion is "Roman".......

Last edited:

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
You're verging into insults, which I attempt to ignore as I feel that on a history forum we ought to maintain some sort of academic decorum.

pc is an invented term, created by the Right, and it is from modern politics and has NO meaning in an academic context! And don't accuse me of totalitarianism, as you are obviously coming from the Right, the cradle of totalitarianism.

It is very legitimate to question the labels we use for things. Many of the labels are problematic, either rooted in the bigotry of the past, or simply superceded by more recent knowledge. An example of a label which doesn't work: Caucasian for white people (they did not come from the Caucasus!).

You in fact are the anti-intellectual playing the game of controlling words and discourse, by neglecting to engage in any reasonable argument, but demonizing and name-calling. That is how the Right seeks to control intellectual life, simply finger-point and wail at any truth which contradicts their twisted world view.

Nope, that academic fascism doesn't wash anywhere, so stop using it on me.

My postings are not "crap", as you claim. But your prevarications most definitely are.
That is one of the worst posts I have come across in this forum. You have at least twice tried to control language, and now have the gall to accuse me of doing what you do, the typical modus operandi of totalitarianism, which is what the far right and far left are. Are you even aware that your language in that post is from the far left, Are not aware that "1984" is a novel, not an instruction manual.

You only joined this forum this month yet you are trying to dictate what words can or cannot be used and how posts are made. So, who were you previously, or are you just a new agitprop.

Oct 2019
West Virginia
I've not insulted you or called your posts crap, but you are insulting me...

Btw, try telling an Ulster Protestant that their religion is "Roman". You may need a good dentist after.
It is indeed Roman. They are mostly Presbyterians, a church in which the Nicaean Creed is recited. I was raised Methodist, and we recited it as well.

It is Roman doctrine. Concocted by Romans, at the behest of a Roman Emperor. Protestant doctrine is not divergent from that expressed at Nicaea.

There were also other versions of Christianity, but they were extirpated by either the Romans or Arabs.

Yes, your attribution of my statements to a liberal political stance is insulting. We're discussing history, and yet you think that if based on better information we evolve our interpretations of history, then we are engaging in some sort of "crap", some "pc" exercise. That is a cheap and dirty way to argue, but unfortunately that's all we get from the Right these days.

However, determining whether or not Christianity as we know it was formulated in the Roman Empire or elsewhere does not depend on whether we are Democratic or Republican.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Hypatia was not killed because of her religion, but because she picked a side in the political conflict in Alexandria at the time. Keep in mind all known students of Hypatia were Christians.

Reactions: PecuTheGreat
Oct 2019
West Virginia
That is was one of the worst posts I have come across in this forum. You have at least twice tried to control language, and now have the gall to accuse me of doing what you do, the typical modus operandi of totalitarianism, which is what the far right and far left are. Are you even aware that your language in that post is from the far left, Are no aware that "1984" is a novel, not an instruction manual

You only joined this forum this month yet you are trying to dictate the what words can or cannot be used and how posts are made. So, who were you previously, or are you just a new agitprop.
Pointing out that your terminology ("pc") is nonsense is not "controlling language". You verge on hysteria.

Now a spiel that the left is totalitarian. Oh yeah, I remember all those famous dictators of old... Roosevelt, Kennedy... And for you to bring that ultra-right screed in here is inappropriate. I'm wrong because I'm a Democrat and "the left is totalitarian"? Oh really was that the conclusion of your dissertation?

You forgot to accuse me of reading Saul Alinsky, and there was no mention of George Soros! You're slipping.

Very often online we find that those speaking as you do are in fact Russian disruptor agents. Shall we suspect you of that as well?

Oct 2019
West Virginia
Hypatia was not killed because of her religion, but because she picked a side in the political conflict in Alexandria at the time. Keep in mind all known students of Hypatia were Christians.
The Christian Bishops praised the mob, asserting that they had "done the work of God" in murdering Hypatia.

I think as with most historical events, multiple factors and forces come into play, and so we cannot deny the role of political conflict but neither can we think that her Neoplatonism had nothing to do with it. She was an upright figure, moral, intelligent, wise, and just the sort of Neoplatonist the Christians did not want held up as an example for the people whom they were busy forcing into Christianity.