How did Islam get to Indonesia?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I hadn't heard the arabs had that much trade going on. Were the Ottoman turks just less interested in that trade for some reason?
Arab dominance waned away rapidly after a brief period of their rise, it were Turkic tribes(many Persianized) who later spread Islam to new places in Central Asia, South Asia, middle east and South East Europe.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
I find it really amazing, the degree of Turko-Persian inter-mixing that has occurred & is still occurring in Central Asia. I mean, I meet Uzbeks in Kuala Lumpur, many of them are to me obviously Iranic looking, whils some others hv what I wud call that hybrid Turko-Iranic look.

But then, some of them identify themselves as 'Turkiya' (perhaps by that they might hv meant Turkestan, i.e. Turkic Central Asia) rather than Anatolian Turkey, and speak only Turkish, or rather Uzbek Turkic, although judging from their appearance I wud hv guessed them to be Iranian speaking Iranic Uzbeks.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I find it really amazing, the degree of Turko-Persian inter-mixing that has occurred & is still occurring in Central Asia. I mean, I meet Uzbeks in Kuala Lumpur, many of them are to me obviously Iranic looking, whils some others hv what I wud call that hybrid Turko-Iranic look.

But then, some of them identify themselves as 'Turkiya' (perhaps by that they might hv meant Turkestan, i.e. Turkic Central Asia) rather than Anatolian Turkey, and speak only Turkish, or rather Uzbek Turkic, although judging from their appearance I wud hv guessed them to be Iranian speaking Iranic Uzbeks.
Central Asia was inhabited by Iranic tribes until Turkic tribes overran these areas and assimilated the earlier inhabitants among themselves. Original Turks are the related to Mongols both by race and language.

Similar History Discussions