How did Mali stand Military wise compared to other large African states and Kingdoms?

Feb 2018
ohio
How did they compare military wise to other States like: Ajuran/Adal/Mogadishu Sultanate, Abyssinian Kingdoms, Kanem-Bornu, Makuria, Alodia, Mamaluk Sultanate, Swahili Kingdoms, and the Morrocan Kingdoms.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Universe
Mali during its time was the most powerful empire in Africa. The Swahili coast didn't have a real military but were mostly trading city states and so they are out of the equation. I don't know much about Ajuran. As for Kanem I believe Mali had a larger infantry than them. Abyssinian? Not sure. Those Christian Nubian states? Mali came fater them iirc and so Mali would have superior tech. Morocco? I heard they were mostly evenly matched.

Feb 2018
ohio
Mali during its time was the most powerful empire in Africa. The Swahili coast didn't have a real military but were mostly trading city states and so they are out of the equation. I don't know much about Ajuran. As for Kanem I believe Mali had a larger infantry than them. Abyssinian? Not sure. Those Christian Nubian states? Mali came fater them iirc and so Mali would have superior tech. Morocco? I heard they were mostly evenly matched.
2a91794837306c3362e84065818142eb.jpg Deposed meghrebi princes would request military support from Mansa of Mali.

Similar History Discussions