How did Mali stand Military wise compared to other large African states and Kingdoms?

Feb 2018
ohio
How did they compare military wise to other States like: Ajuran/Adal/Mogadishu Sultanate, Abyssinian Kingdoms, Kanem-Bornu, Makuria, Alodia, Mamaluk Sultanate, Swahili Kingdoms, and the Morrocan Kingdoms.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Universe
Mali during its time was the most powerful empire in Africa. The Swahili coast didn't have a real military but were mostly trading city states and so they are out of the equation. I don't know much about Ajuran. As for Kanem I believe Mali had a larger infantry than them. Abyssinian? Not sure. Those Christian Nubian states? Mali came fater them iirc and so Mali would have superior tech. Morocco? I heard they were mostly evenly matched.

Feb 2018
ohio
Mali during its time was the most powerful empire in Africa. The Swahili coast didn't have a real military but were mostly trading city states and so they are out of the equation. I don't know much about Ajuran. As for Kanem I believe Mali had a larger infantry than them. Abyssinian? Not sure. Those Christian Nubian states? Mali came fater them iirc and so Mali would have superior tech. Morocco? I heard they were mostly evenly matched.
2a91794837306c3362e84065818142eb.jpg Deposed meghrebi princes would request military support from Mansa of Mali.

Dec 2018
Brasil
Could they fight non african powers and win?
Depending. I would pick up portuguese for example. Depending on how prepared they are, the tatics, the weapons, the place where they fight. Would portuguese ask the help of their Iberian neighbours? Would Mali use its wealth to import weapons and slave-soldiers from Maghreb, Egypt and southern areas? The possibilities are not limited, for sure. I don't think portuguese armor would fit well in Saharan region, bit maybe in the coast. In a naval fight, later 15th century portuguese had the chance, but early 12-13th century portuguese would not get bigger chances than later. Though they had no ships, west africans had very large canoes, some of them were 80 feet, comparable to many viking ships. (Large boats are old in West Africa).
Malians would not get so well in the unknown portuguese territory, and would get certain difficult fighting portuguese even in their own lands. The portuguese had way more contact with the world and through Spain they could use technologies against malians, and Mali, even though could do the same, would put a little more effort to reach that.
This is just a basic view, I don't know that much about their military at that time, it's Just an obvious and short general view. So they could, yes. A lot of people can win a battle with the right organization.