How did Singapore get rid of criminal organizations?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Following my recent visit, where I saw a very orderly society with different ethnic groups living side by side with relatively low conflict, much of whic is accomplished through strict control which prohibits demonstrations, public criticizing of religions and contradicting the government. I looked into some of Singapore's past and saw that it was not always this way. Following the Opium Wars, Chinese people immigrated there to escape the poverty left in China, only to find large criminal organizations controlling many aspects of the society. Women were forced into prostitution, vendors were subjected to heavy protection fees, and robbery was common. The different cultures banded together to fight one another, creating a hostile ambiance.

My question is, how did this change come about? How did a lawless society become what Singapore is today?

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
I don't think it did. What you described sounds a lot like Hong Kong and most Chinatowns in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. You don't hear about that kind of stuff happening now but it still does. Triads, Yakuzas, and mafias still exist, they're just low-key and into business now.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I don't think it did. What you described sounds a lot like Hong Kong and most Chinatowns in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. You don't hear about that kind of stuff happening now but it still does. Triads, Yakuzas, and mafias still exist, they're just low-key and into business now.
Of course, no place in the world is crime free. Yes, Singapore still has problems, and I'm familiar with the way things went in other places. I'm just wondering if anyone knows in detail how this happened there.

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
Of course, no place in the world is crime free. Yes, Singapore still has problems, and I'm familiar with the way things went in other places. I'm just wondering if anyone knows in detail how this happened there.
Increase police activity, leaders getting arrested, internal fighting. That's how most mafias fall.

Nov 2010
I would say that criminal organizations evolved into something even more sinister, hiding in the dark.... lurking.... :)
Or maybe they realy are gone, like you suggested. :D

The Imperial

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
3rd rock from Sol
Small country........small population...... strict police and rules..... Easy to maintain law.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Jake, on the surface Singapore is a very orderly and law abiding society. Street crime is almost unknown and there are draconian penalties for all types of activities, including political dissent. Underneath however, serious criminal activities still flourish, however the casual visitor or average citizen will never see it. Corruption ,money laundering, drug trafficking etc. all controlled by sophisticated gangs with international connections.

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
A more intresting story would be how Hong Kong was able to fix the problem of [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City]Kowloon Walled City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] a absolute hive of scum and villainy, a bit like Mos Eisly space port.