How did Singapore get rid of criminal organizations?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
A more intresting story would be how Hong Kong was able to fix the problem of Kowloon Walled City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a absolute hive of scum and villainy, a bit like Mos Eisly space port.
Oh, that I can tell you all about. The Chinese told the British to take care of that before the takeover. The people living in the Walled City had no legal deeds to their apartments, but the government still offered them compensation to move out. Believe it or not, many were very reluctant, to the point of threatening officers that visited them. Nevertheless, the Walled City had to come down, so they slowly paid people off and sealed their flats. The factories there were the hardest to get rid of because they were making all sorts of money by employing illegal workers and paying no taxes. As the people moved out, the police started going there more and more, making the gangsters move away. Some of the gangsters set up shop in and around a few areas of the city. Walking through places like Mong Kok in Hong Kong, you can see all sorts of brothels, stores that clearly don't sell much but never close, and guys sitting on corners all day long. I personally know a few people who lived in the Walled City. They told me it wasn't so bad. They got enough money to buy apartments elsewhere when they moved out, and the city built a nice park there.

Dec 2008
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
What exactly do you mean? Are you referring to the racism there? I never denied that, which is why I pointed out the strict control.
It's all right here...

Jake, on the surface Singapore is a very orderly and law abiding society. Street crime is almost unknown and there are draconian penalties for all types of activities, including political dissent. Underneath however, serious criminal activities still flourish, however the casual visitor or average citizen will never see it. Corruption ,money laundering, drug trafficking etc. all controlled by sophisticated gangs with international connections.

Jan 2012
Milky Way
Singapore had one of the best stateman's of 2nd half of 20th century - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Kuan_Yew"]Lee Kuan Yew[/ame]

Quote from random internet webpage:
Just forty years ago Singapore was a war-battered British port on an island off the southern tip of Malaysia. It had a rapidly growing, poor, uneducated population living mostly in slums and houseboats. Singapore struggled along until 1965, when it became an independent nation with Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew in firm control.
In the next twenty years Singapore's economy grew eightfold. Average income per capita rose more than fourfold. The percentage of families living in poverty dropped to 0.3% (in the U.S. it is near 20%). Singaporeans' average life expectancy is now 71 years. No one is homeless. Population has stabilized. Virtually everyone has a job. The place runs like a Swiss watch.
Lee Kuan Yew would appreciate that analogy. Switzerland is his model. Singapore Airlines aims to outdo Swissair. Singapore likes to list its statistics alongside Switzerland's (its divorce rate is one-third that of Switzerland, its per capita calorie supply is equal, its movie attendance rate is six times higher). Lee's chief economic goal is to reach the per capita GNP of Switzerland, which will happen in one more economic doubling -- about 10 years, if past growth rates continue.
recommend to read his memoirs: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Third-World-First-Singapore-1965-2000/dp/0060197765/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]Amazon.com: From Third World to First : The Singapore Story: 1965-2000 (9780060197766): Lee Kuan Yew: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51z84gsE3EL.@@AMEPARAM@@51z84gsE3EL[/ame]

Last edited:
Dec 2008
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Singapore had one of the best stateman's of 2nd half of 20th century
Debatable at best-I live in a place full of different people from Asia and Singaporeans are the most boring unimaginative ones of all.

Propaganda isn't my thing-Thanks for the suggestion though.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Singapore has achieved remarkable things, it is a pleasant and comfortable place with a very low rate of street crime. You can walk anywhere at any time in almost perfect safety. The streets are clean and the facilities are first world, far better than in many European cities.

However all this comes at a heavy cost. The place is now so modern it is almost soulless, it is a virtual dictatorship and and draconian laws coupled with social engineering keep the population in line. Behind the scenes corruption flourishes and it is a hub of organised crime. As Singapore had become a trade crossroads, so too has it become a crossroads for just about any dodgy international dealings you could name.

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
The simple answer is that Singapore never got rid of organized crime. You just don't see it, the same way you don't see organized crime very often in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Japan, and the Chinatowns. They're not gone, they're just underground and they are now doing business, even "professional" business. You don't see rarely see them commit street crimes because they're running businesses like prostitution, gambling, money laundering, and that kind of stuff.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
The simple answer is that Singapore never got rid of organized crime. You just don't see it, the same way you don't see organized crime very often in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Japan, and the Chinatowns. They're not gone, they're just underground and they are now doing business, even "professional" business. You don't see rarely see them commit street crimes because they're running businesses like prostitution, gambling, money laundering, and that kind of stuff.
What do you mean you don't see crime very often in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan? Have you been here recently? In Hong Kong, areas such as Sham Shui Po, Tai Kok Tsui and Mong Kok are known for crime. Prostitution and illegal gambling are common. Drugs are not as common as in North America, but organized crime is very present, just as it is in Taiwan. Smugglers of all sorts of things are caught coming in from Mainland China all the time.

No, Singapore may still have organized crime, but it's certainly more evident in those other places.

Jan 2012
Milky Way
Debatable at best-I live in a place full of different people from Asia and Singaporeans are the most boring unimaginative ones of all.

Propaganda isn't my thing-Thanks for the suggestion though.
Well but that's culture, and economic progress [in my opinion] does make culture unimaginative and boring [white/blue-collar culture].
However all this comes at a heavy cost. The place is now so modern it is almost soulless, it is a virtual dictatorship and and draconian laws coupled with social engineering keep the population in line. Behind the scenes corruption flourishes and it is a hub of organised crime. As Singapore had become a trade crossroads, so too has it become a crossroads for just about any dodgy international dealings you could name.
In current age this is called progress! :)
Crime exists everywhere even in totalitarian states. I do not know of any place [maybe except Antarctica?] where there are no organized crime. I do see correlation between economic prosperity and crime levels

mingming

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Los Santos, San Andreas
What do you mean you don't see crime very often in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan? Have you been here recently? In Hong Kong, areas such as Sham Shui Po, Tai Kok Tsui and Mong Kok are known for crime. Prostitution and illegal gambling are common. Drugs are not as common as in North America, but organized crime is very present, just as it is in Taiwan. Smugglers of all sorts of things are caught coming in from Mainland China all the time.

No, Singapore may still have organized crime, but it's certainly more evident in those other places.
You're more likely to see people dealing drugs than see people make pirated DVDs. You don't just waltz into a gambling den or a brothel. Those things are expertly disguised and more often authorities are paid off to look the other way. Organized crime is going underground. They're not the gangsters of the 30s where they drive around shooting people. These guys are businessmen now and you don't feel their presence often.

Dec 2015
Singapore
I think Singapore used to be run by gangsters.
But the government equipped the police force and impose strict laws for the gangsters.
As a result, the police conquered the gangsters and Singapore is where she is today.