How did the Hapsburgs get away with their incestous dyansty?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Since the Hapsburgs married; Cousin to cousin sometimes Uncle/Niece. Since they would need a piece of paper from the pope?
It wasn't thought of incestuous in those times. Victoria married first cousin Albert of Saxe- Coberg Gotha as Queen of the UK in 1840 and had 9 children that lived to adulthood. One had hemophilia and died at age 30. That's most likely a spontaneous mutation from her father. Only 1st degree relatives were considered incestuous liaisons among royalty until perhaps the 20th century. I think liaisons between uncle and niece or aunt and nephew were generally frowned upon.:mad:

Sep 2016
Georgia
Louis XIV married his cousin. Philip IV of Spain was his uncle, being the brother of his mother Anne of Austria.

Many European dynasties were largely relatives of each other.

Habsburgs had Valois blood in them as well.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
The Habsburgs did not ' get away with in-breeding -the Hapsburg nose became a feature of certain members of each Hapsburg generation. Go look and you will see examples of te distnctvie Hapsburg conks .

Oct 2018
Belgium
I think liaisons between uncle and niece or aunt and nephew were generally frowned upon.:mad:
Not really. At the time Habsburg inbreeding reached its pinnacle, King Philip IV of Spain and his wife Mariana of Austria were uncle and niece. Their daughter was married off to her maternal uncle, Emperor Leopold I, who was also her paternal cousin. Habsburg family get-togethers must have been really confusing affairs.

Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Not really. At the time Habsburg inbreeding reached its pinnacle, King Philip IV of Spain and his wife Mariana of Austria were uncle and niece. Their daughter was married off to her maternal uncle, Emperor Leopold I, who was also her paternal cousin. Habsburg family get-togethers must have been really confusing affairs.
Yeah, but look at all the money they saved by not having to add new names to their Xmas gift giving lists!