How did the Scythians fight between themselves?

Jul 2019
Australia
I'm pretty sure there was a lot of inter-tribal conflict in the ancient Scythians so how would they fight each other? Would it literally be just horse archer v horse archer (they both gallop down, send off a volley of arrows, run back, repeat?), or would their tactics change when facing each other? (not fight the same way they would against foreigners with armies comprised of mostly infantry)

Jul 2019
Australia
Ah, surprised that didn't cross my mind, I'm dumb, but how do you think the Scythians fought the Sarmatians when they were eventually overrun by them? The Sarmatians were unlike any other they had face before (probably) and they too were heavily cavalry-based, but instead used lances and less archery.

I suppose the Sarmatians just swept in, and dealt a lot of damage to the people and settlements before any Scythians could band together and form an actual strong force against them? So no conflict on any large scale occurred?

Jul 2019
Australia
Another question, sorry. Why were the people of the Eurasian steppe so geared towards warfare pretty much all of history? Was it the constant pressure from civilized and settle empires around them? Or just the hard life of a nomad that led to them becoming masters in the arts of warfare due to their hunting skills?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Another question, sorry. Why were the people of the Eurasian steppe so geared towards warfare pretty much all of history? Was it the constant pressure from civilized and settle empires around them? Or just the hard life of a nomad that led to them becoming masters in the arts of warfare due to their hunting skills?
When you live in an open flat endless plain like the Eurasian steppe, there is nowhere to hide. It's easy to harrass your neighbours and it's easy to be harrassed by them. Life is tough and the same skills that help you hunt and herd animals make warfare easier as well.

Ah, surprised that didn't cross my mind, I'm dumb, but how do you think the Scythians fought the Sarmatians when they were eventually overrun by them? The Sarmatians were unlike any other they had face before (probably) and they too were heavily cavalry-based, but instead used lances and less archery.

I suppose the Sarmatians just swept in, and dealt a lot of damage to the people and settlements before any Scythians could band together and form an actual strong force against them? So no conflict on any large scale occurred?
Also remember there wasn't just one Scythian nation, there were a lot of different tribes whom all hated each other most of the time, a lot of them might have allied or willingly were absorbed into the Sarmatian groups to better fight their rivals

Similar History Discussions