How did the Zionists plan to deal with any overpopulation problems that Palestine might experience as a result of huge Jewish immigration?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How did the Zionists plan to deal with any overpopulation problems that Palestine might experience as a result of huge Jewish immigration? In real life, Israel is currently experiencing a growing overpopulation problem (at least according to Israeli researcher Alon Tal) due to a lack of space and due to its high fertility rates ensuring that its Jewish population would continue to rapidly grow. In real life, millions of European Jews never actually had the opportunity to immigrate to Palestine due to the Holocaust, but it's worth noting that the Holocaust was unexpected before the early 1940s--which in turn raises the question of what exactly Zionists planned to do if the influx of Jews into Palestine would have had a couple million or more Jews higher than it had in real life. After all, in such a scenario, Palestine/Israel would have very likely been even more overpopulated right now than it actually is in reality--which in turn raises the question of just how exactly Zionists planned to gradually accommodate such a huge number of Jews into such a tiny country (the size of New Jersey, and that's being generous considering that a lot of Israel is desert while practically none of New Jersey is desert).

I guess that this is what I find interesting--Zionists wanted Jews to immigrate en masse to Palestine but Palestine is such a small territory that it wouldn't exactly be easy for it to sustain a massive population. In turn, this made me wonder just how exactly Zionists planned to deal with any overpopulation problems that might emerge in Palestine/Israel as a result of large-scale Jewish immigration and/or as a result of a high Jewish total fertility rate.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Unfortunately, I no longer speak Hebrew. :( Thus, I can't understand what is said in this song. :(

As for Transjordan, did the Zionists initially want to conquer it as well?

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Territorial expansion? Crikey! Into whose existing territories?

Holy mackerel! This is just not on, man.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Territorial expansion? Into whose existing territories
The Zionists did expand a bit in 1948-1949--though some of this expansion could probably be justified on security grounds. That said, though, the Zionists certainly never attempted to maximize their territorial expansion in 1948-1949; if they would have, they would have tried harder to conquer the entire West Bank.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Reactions: Futurist
Jul 2019
New Jersey
Unfortunately, I no longer speak Hebrew. :( Thus, I can't understand what is said in this song. :(

As for Transjordan, did the Zionists initially want to conquer it as well?
That's what the song is. It's a song that was popular in the Irgun and Lehi. The chorus is "There are two banks to the Jordan; this one's ours and so is that!"

The Zionists viewed Trans-Jordan both as part of the Jewish patrimony and as part of mandatory Palestine (they felt that the British betrayed them in 1921 with the establishment of the Emirate of Transjordan).

Jul 2019
New Jersey
The Zionists did expand a bit in 1948-1949--though some of this expansion could probably be justified on security grounds. That said, though, the Zionists certainly never attempted to maximize their territorial expansion in 1948-1949; if they would have, they would have tried harder to conquer the entire West Bank.
They tried as hard as they could. They didn't have the weaponry or the manpower.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
We have already discussed this ... the proposal of the Zionists was about a larger Israel than what they obtained in reality [the Israeli government offers a historical collection of maps ... https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/Maps/Pages/The-Balfour-Declaration.aspx].
It's certainly larger, but not by too much. It's basically another New Jersey's worth of territory.

That's what the song is. It's a song that was popular in the Irgun and Lehi. The chorus is "There are two banks to the Jordan; this one's ours and so is that!"

The Zionists viewed Trans-Jordan both as part of the Jewish patrimony and as part of mandatory Palestine (they felt that the British betrayed them in 1921 with the establishment of the Emirate of Transjordan).
That makes sense, but this does raise the question of whether the Zionists continued to maintain (perhaps secret?) designs on Transjordan even after 1921.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
It's certainly larger, but not by too much. It's basically another New Jersey's worth of territory.

That makes sense, but this does raise the question of whether the Zionists continued to maintain (perhaps secret?) designs on Transjordan even after 1921.
Both Etzel and Lehi retained that claim in their manifesto. Even now you'll find small Kahanist fringes who dream of taking Jordan.