How did Zionists justify the idea of creating a Jewish state on a territory where the native Arab population opposed this?

Status
Closed

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How did the Zionists justify the idea of creating a Jewish state on a territory where the native Arab population opposed this? Obviously I'm well-aware of the arguments in favor of a Jewish homeland somewhere (the need for Jews to have a safe haven to escape persecution), but how exactly did Zionists respond to objections that they were ignoring the wishes of the Palestinian Arabs and their right of national self-determination?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
How did the Zionists justify the idea of creating a Jewish state on a territory where the native Arab population opposed this? Obviously I'm well-aware of the arguments in favor of a Jewish homeland somewhere (the need for Jews to have a safe haven to escape persecution), but how exactly did Zionists respond to objections that they were ignoring the wishes of the Palestinian Arabs and their right of national self-determination?
by adopting the patronizing colonialist attitudes that were quite prevalent at the time Zionism was being formed. that somehow it was for the Arabs best interests.

Jul 2016
USA
Jews had become majority population in specific areas. They did this by buying land. They didn't really live together with Arabs, they lived in separate areas. And there was no Arab state for hundreds of years before 1948. The Ottomans controlled the region, then the British, and it was the British that were going to give Jews and Arabs their own independent states.

Map

The Zionists were okay with Arabs sharing ground formally ontrolled by British, because at the time they wouldnt even have the population to control it all. It was the Arabs who violently rejected the idea of any Jewish state.

Jul 2016
USA
Not at the time. Zionism was mostly secular and often ardently so in it's initial stages. Ultra Orthodox types opposed Zionism, creating a Jewish state in Israel before the Messiah was blasphemous,
Wrong. Being a Reform Jew is not same as being an atheist. There are numerous levels of spirituality between atheism and the Haredi or Hassidic Jews, the ultra orthodox. The Zionist movement was tied to far left political ideology, but the individuals were still fiercely Jewish, knew the scipture, etc.

One only need reading about all the individuals involved, read their letters, etc. They certainly knew the history of Israel, which a large part was historically true. They didn't believe God would just give it back to them, which is why they fought. But their spirituality is also reason they worked so hard to go back to the Promised Land, and why they struggled for very specific areas of the region.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Wrong. Being a Reform Jew is not same as being an atheist. There are numerous levels of spirituality between atheism and the Haredi or Hassidic Jews, the ultra orthodox. The Zionist movement was tied to far left political ideology, but the individuals were still fiercely Jewish, knew the scipture, etc.

One only need reading about all the individuals involved, read their letters, etc. They certainly knew the history of Israel, which a large part was historically true. They didn't believe God would just give it back to them, which is why they fought. But their spirituality is also reason they worked so hard to go back to the Promised Land, and why they struggled for very specific areas of the region.
I strongly disagree

'

Sep 2014
Texas
The argument is moot to me since the ARabs and Turks did not ask permission from the peoples they overthrew and stole land and cities from. So in a point I agree with you, the land was taken from the Palestinians. But why should I care. Is Turkey offering to return the land they took from the Byzantines and Armenians? Let me know when that happens and I will fully support giving everything back to Palestine.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions