How do Christians describe existence of God?

Jan 2009
In the Past
The point of the matter is that there are desires in us that may feel natural, but may be a sin against GOD, but if we do not want to sin before GOD we curb out desires, to please HIM.
well now, lying is a natural desire to prevent being in trouble. along with having sex with a women your not with, punching the (bleep) That makes your best friend cry in front of you, and such. Its all gonna coem naturally. Yet its all sin. Its not having the desire that is bad, its wiether you let yourself fall into it or not, and wiether or not you try to fix it.

Apr 2010
Manila
Simply by doing what he ask.

If your children do as you ask them, and follow in your instructions wouldn't that be pleasing to you?

Likewise it's the same with GOD.

My example was of one who had no family(husband/wife, children)
Still you are not just pleasing God, but the Others.
But wait, let's leave it on another thread. We're going off topic. ;)

Oct 2009
Philadelphia, PA
well now, lying is a natural desire to prevent being in trouble. along with having sex with a women your not with, punching the (bleep) That makes your best friend cry in front of you, and such. Its all gonna coem naturally. Yet its all sin. Its not having the desire that is bad, its wiether you let yourself fall into it or not, and wiether or not you try to fix it.
I realize this.

Dec 2009
Did Jesus prayed himshelf as a God?
Long Answer: as for most sacred texts from any place & time, the language of the New Testament is often obscure & cryptic, open to myriad interpretations, both linguistic and theological.

Short answer: No.

(That is, at least IMHO [just that!] from any neutral reading of the Gospels).

That said, by definiton Christians consider Jesus to be a deity.

Most Christians nowadays are Trinitarians, i.e. the belief in the admittedly complex equation 3 = 1.

Jesus is therefore by definition considered as both God and the Son of God (at least by the Trinitarians).

Jan 2009
Tennessee
I don't understand trinity and earthly description of God (Gods son)....

Good question, Efendi. I shall attempt to submit a humble answer of how Christians understand this. And I do not intend to offend anyone of other faiths, or even atheist. I add this only for educational purposes in the interest of learning about each others faiths.

"Son of" can be a way of saying "image of", or "manifestation of". We can see places in the Old Testament where Jesus came to Earth and walked around and interacted with humans. But the time was not right for Him to begin His ministry and make the sacrifice of atonement. Here is a few to look at...

Ill start by mentioning Genesis 18:1, and it goes on from there for many verses. The Lord appeared to Abraham.

Abraham knew full well who it was that he was talking to. And well he should know Him, because he had met him before. For that, we can look back at Genesis 17, to where the Lord appeared to Abraham. So it was that later on, in Chapter 18, Abraham knew who the Lord was when he appeared with him at the terebinth trees of Mamre. This was not the first time that God had appeared to Abraham. I think it was the 5th time, actually.

And we can look at Genesis 14:18 for an interesting study in that too. Notice that Abraham recieved bread and wine (like Jesus passed out during the last supper). This was from Melchizedec, Gods High Priest. We know later on in the Old and New Testaments that the Messiah is the High Priest of God.

On earth, in Old Testament times, the High priest would enter into the tent of the tabernacle (and later Temples) to the Holy of Holys. This is where God's presence was, and the Ark of the Covanent was kept. Once a year (only allowed one time a year) the High Priest was allowed to go in and sprinkle the blood sacrifice on the top of the Ark. This didnt forgive the peoples sins, but it merely put off judgement for another year.

Gods High Priest (Jesus) did later (when the time was right) make Himself the ultimate sacrifice (crucifixion). And after the resurrection, as High Priest of the Order of Melchizedec, He did make the final and complete atonement sacrifice once and for all, as seen in the New Testament.

So we can think about Abraham and Melchizedec in Genesis 14:18. Interesting interaction, isnt it? Melchezidec was identified as being the King of Salem, which is a way of saying "King of Peace".

And, Abraham tithed to Melchizedec in thier meeting. Abraham already knew who God was, so he went ahead and tithed to Melchizedec and recieved the sacremnet from Him, and was blessed. Abraham wouldnt tithe to an angel, nor would an angel accept a tithe and Abraham's worship.

And so we are seeing Abraham having a very close relationship with God here.

David understood much, as we see in Psalm 110, especially the verse of Psalms 110:4, where David is talking about the Messiah to come...

The LORD has taken an oath and will not break his vow: "You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek

This is a Messianic Prophesy. We know that the Messiah cannot be second place to any other Priest, so we must conclude that the term "Order of Melchizedec" is one to identify just who that is. And this centuries before Jesus came and began His ministry.

But we can go on for other examples of a pre-incarnate Jesus in the Old Testament. Lets look at Joshua chapter 5, verse 13. Here, Joshua meets a pre-incarnate Christ, standing with a drawn sword. He tells Joshua that He is there as the commander of the Lords army...and He also commands Joshua to remove his sandals, for the place where he now stands is Holy. No angel would say that.

The commander of the LORD's army replied, "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so.... Joshua 5:15

But it is exactly the same thing that God told Moses in Exodus chapter 3, verse 5.

Then he said, “Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground"..... Exodus 3:5

And also from the Old Testament, we see that at times, God didnt want people to see Him, as he was in a form that would kill them if they saw Him in all His Glory. Sometimes the Lord appeared in person, and sometimes He didnt.

We can look at Exodus 19:21...

..and the LORD said to him, "Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the LORD and many of them perish"

Yet the Lord had appeared to Abraham, and Moses stood before the burning bush, and Joshua saw Him. And so we see God in many manifestations...but always the same God. In Jesus, or Yeshua, we see the manifestation of the sacrificial Lamb. Later in the New Testament, we see Him as the High Priest that has already made the atonement sacrifice.

I will talk more about that in another post if you like. This one is getting pretty long. But I just wanted to point out some things about Jesus from the Old Testament, from a Christian perspective.

And so, there are some things to think about in this, and what it all means.