How do Christians describe existence of God?

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Rasta's explanation is more accurate. Jesus indeed calls himself also the Son of God ,as well. Jesus never states he is the same as GOD.
I would like to add a point here. We can look to the passage in Mathew 16, 15-20. I will post it here...

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

And so Jesus acknowledges His identity. As to what the term "Messiah" meant in Jewish Theology, that didnt need to be explained to these disciples. They had been raised in the Jewish culture, and knew all about the role of the Messiah.

Sep 2010
Nyeri, Kenyan Highlands
The nature of god, if he/she/it exists at all, is supposedly beyond our comprehension, so theres no real point in bothering to understand something so alien and bizarre that is completely irreconcilable to human understanding and perspective.

Win win for everyone, unless this particular deity believes in fire or annihilation/obscurity for all time if you don't "get" them, but you can't really anyways, so...everyone loses, except god. Hurray.
Interesting quote. But the fact that god is incomprehensible to the human mind is not because god is "alien and bizarre" or "irreconcilable to human understanding and perspective". The real reason is just a matter of simple physics. The human brain is just too small. It weighs, what? one or two pounds? And the universe is millions, maybe billions of cubic light years in extent, and weighs, I don't know, let's just say "quite a bit more" than one or two pounds. You really can't expect a little pint-sized piece of flesh and blood to understand the universe and the power within it. Hell, it can't even understand itself. LOL

Nov 2009
Massachusetts
Interesting quote. But the fact that god is incomprehensible to the human mind is not because god is "alien and bizarre" or "irreconcilable to human understanding and perspective". The real reason is just a matter of simple physics. The human brain is just too small. It weighs, what? one or two pounds? And the universe is millions, maybe billions of cubic light years in extent, and weighs, I don't know, let's just say "quite a bit more" than one or two pounds. You really can't expect a little pint-sized piece of flesh and blood to understand the universe and the power within it. Hell, it can't even understand itself. LOL
I believe it was Kant who said that we can only know those things which our mind has the ability to know and that there is likely things beyond that ability that do in fact exist.

When some one gets it all figured out, please email me. :D

Jim

Oct 2009
Vancouver
There are certain minds amongst our society who can calculate and comprehend matters of the universe far more vast and interesting then a burning bush.

Sep 2010
Nyeri, Kenyan Highlands
There are certain minds amongst our society who can calculate and comprehend matters of the universe far more vast and interesting then a burning bush.
I see where you are coming from, I think.

But there are two gods, aren't there? There is one god that humans created. That one is a little bizzarro, IMHO. Made by humans and acts like us humans, too. Always watching to catch us doing something wrong, punishes us if he does, writes books that nobody can understand and we all fight over, etc.

But there is the other god, the one who created humans. That one isn't bizarre. That's the one I was talking about being too much for the human brain to truly comprehend. Speaking of bushes, that god can grow them and burn them, too. And make stars, etc. Pretty amazing miracles. And to top it all off, miracle of miracles, lives in the heart of every human being.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
Oregon
I don't understand trinity and earthly description of God (Gods son).
Hi, Efendi! I know that this thread is rather old, but I'm pretty sure you are still actively participating in the forums, so maybe I am okay to post an answer here. The subject of the Trinity is a difficult one to comprehend, but I will do my best to describe it as far as I understand it. And while you've mentioned we might not describe God's Trinity using examples of created things, perhaps this answer at least will shed a little light on the subject even though mankind is itself (in my belief) a created thing.

In some of my other posts, I've mentioned that because mankind was created in God's image, we can see aspects of Him in us. Maybe part of understanding the Trinity is an understanding of the make-up of humans. As a Christian, I've always heard taught that humans are made up of three parts: body, soul, and spirit. We are a "tripartite" being. Here is a breakdown of those three aspects and how they might be an image of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) that makes up my God:

The body is our physical being, what everyone around us can see and hear and touch. Jesus (as the Son) may represent this aspect. Colossians 1:15 says Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.

The soul is made up of our mind, our emotions, and our will. God (as the Father) may represent this aspect. In the Gospels, Jesus often speaks of having come to do the will of His Father. God is represented in the Bible as having emotions--love, compassion, anger, jealousy. He is also the one who had such high intelligence as to be able to create our universe.

The spirit is made up of our conscience, intuition, and the ability to fellowship with God. The Holy Spirit is the one who is sent to every believer to bring him or her into a restoration of fellowship with God, to enable the believer to communicate with God. He works to make our conscience tender for God as He lives within us to make us more like Jesus. And He speaks to us, often through unexplainable intuition, to guide us in the way we should go.

There are these three aspects in one person. God's Trinity is awesomely complex compared to our human trinities. For some further information about this subject, there are a couple of sources I find very good. The links are here.

Information about the "tripartite man" can be found at Tripartite Man: Definition—refs by Witness Lee

A very detailed definition of God's Trinity can be found here (you'll need to scroll down aways to get to the portion speaking of the Trinity)…What God Is Like | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

I hope this has been of some help, Efendi!

Dec 2014
United States

Because I think God should not be described with earthly things, which it can not be made up. Actually It can not be made of anything. God can not be described with created things.

If It is strange question, I have right to ask strange question, because I am stranger to the Christianity. Most of the things I have are prejudices to breake.

Respects

Tolga.
https://www.allaboutgod.com/self-existent-god.htm

Dec 2014
United States

Because I think God should not be described with earthly things, which it can not be made up. Actually It can not be made of anything. God can not be described with created things.

If It is strange question, I have right to ask strange question, because I am stranger to the Christianity. Most of the things I have are prejudices to breake.

Respects

Tolga.
https://www.allaboutgod.com/self-existent-god.htm

Similar History Discussions