How do mentality and culture come to be?

Aug 2019
North
What do you think?

Does mentality and culture always appear through a catalyst of natural elements or are there other factors as well?

Nov 2018
Denmark
If one chooses even such a small country as Denmark there are big differences in mentality.
Although influences in culture and history are broadly similar for the entire country.
In the capital Copenhagen, the inhabitants are considered cocky, outgoing, irreverent and vocal.
On the fertile island of Funen, also called the Garden of Denmark, the inhabitants have a dialect which has a singing accent, this makes them appear happy, carefree and a little naïve.
North and West Jutland with their location close to the North Sea has made the climate harsh, therefore it has been a daily struggle for food.
Not to mention the fishermen, where death still is a regular passenger on the fishing boats.
It has created hardy, taciturn, introverted and deeply religious peoples.
The complete opposition to the Copenhageners, which has also caused a great culture shock for people moving from one part of the country to the other.

Reactions: Isleifson and Ken12

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Environmental factors influence how a culture develops. For example there is who has noted that the subcontinent sees a cyclical cultural tradition [the cycle of reincarnations] in a region with an extremely cyclical weather [the cycle of the monsoon dominates weather there]. Probably it's an excessive generalization, but a culture is based on traditions and traditions are the result of centuries of daily common life. So that to live in a cold lonely land or in a warm coastal city will mean totally different daily lives and so, with all probability, different traditions [and different cultures].

This is why it's really interesting to try and understand how a culture can be affected by environmental factors in case of migration to far and drastically different lands. Obviously enough, in modern times technology has reduced this phenomenon [making less drastic the change of the daily life], anyway it's intuitive that to move to a totally different region of the planet will mean to change, at least partially, your daily life.

Reactions: Ken12

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the influence of the land and the climate , interaction with their neighbors ...who know ?

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
I think we are a tribal species and most people want to fit in. So whatever is deemed to be morally acceptable in your country or region is what most people teach their children to be. If you live in a land where head hunting is considered to be a noble activity, then most children will aspire to be head hunters when they grow up, tho a few will be appalled by this activity and will probably be treated as outcasts or weirdo's by the rest of the tribe. As or if the weirdo's grow in numbers, then those who practice head hunting will become the weirdo's and will probably change their ways. Such is the human sense of right and wrong.
In my opinion, values, morality and even culture overall are fickle virtues and practices which can shift like the ebb and flow of the tides.
If you could travel back in time, I suspect your ancestors would be very disappointed in you and vice-versa.

In short. I believe that the main cause of cultural change and development is the influence of other people. Whether those other people are neighbours or simply influential members of the community such as shaman's or political activists or whatever

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North
Such is the human sense of right and wrong.
In my opinion, values, morality and If you could travel back in time, I suspect your ancestors would be very disappointed in you and vice-versa.
Sorry pb, what did you want to say with the last sentence?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
What do you think?

Does mentality and culture always appear through a catalyst of natural elements or are there other factors as well?
Well, what would constitute something other than a "natural element" here?

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Sorry pb, what did you want to say with the last sentence?
Well, if someone from England today went back in time to Victorian England, they would probably be offended by how politically incorrect the Victorians were.
If someone from Victorian England came forward in time, they would probably be arrested for their discriminatory views.
A sense of right and wrong is something you learn as a child and later learn to believe in those values.
In my opinion, shared values and culture are there so that people can co-exist and not because they are right or wrong.