How do you celebrate midsummer.

Nov 2018
Denmark
Midsummer is a popular festival but is no longer an official holiday in Denmark. It was abolished along with many other holidays, most Catholic saint’s days, by the Public Holidays Reform of October 26, 1770.
The reason was that the population had to work more and increase the gross domestic product.
Another and equally important reason was that the people most often used the holidays to drunkenness, adultery and gambling.

sankt-hans-DSC02694-615-002.jpg

Mar 2014
Lithuania
Midsummer is a popular festival but is no longer an official holiday in Denmark. It was abolished along with many other holidays, most Catholic saint’s days, by the Public Holidays Reform of October 26, 1770.
The reason was that the population had to work more and increase the gross domestic product.
Another and equally important reason was that the people most often used the holidays to drunkenness, adultery and gambling.

View attachment 21038
That is exactly how Lithuanians use midsummer long weekend. Our government decided, that when whole country shows up at work without sleep and with horrible hangover it does more harm than profit. :)

Nov 2018
Denmark
That is exactly how Lithuanians use midsummer long weekend. Our government decided, that when whole country shows up at work without sleep and with horrible hangover it does more harm than profit. :)
That it was no longer an official holiday did not stop the Danes throughout the eighteenth century to hold some great parties at Midsummer.
Nowadays it is a little more subdued as children are usually included when the fire burns.

Nov 2018
Denmark
  • Runa

Runa

Apparently, every 90 years we have a blood orgy.

I was in the cinema yesterday and saw the film.

I can't really decide what I think about it.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that 14 people die on the screen, it never gets really scary.

Several times, I sat and laughed hysterically and I could hear there were others in cinema who felt the same way.

The plot is built over a kind of Viking community far out in the Swedish forests, which either has survived the tooth of time or is a kind of reconstruction.

I think that's the last because a nice portion of new age / feminist Wicca has been built into the Viking / Swedish folkloric superstructure.

It could have been a good story, and I was positive at the beginning, but frankly as the story evolved, it became a total parody.

However, go see it yourself, maybe it's just me and the end is certainly not the traditional Hollywood ending

Similar History Discussions