How do you get a lot of Russians to settle in the southern parts of the Russian Empire?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In the US, almost 50 million Non-Hispanic White Americans--or about 25% of the total Non-Hispanic White population in the US--lives in either the Southwestern US or Florida. I am wondering how something similar could have happened in regards to Russians in a surviving Russian Empire--or, alternatively, in a surviving non-Bolshevik Russian republic. Specifically, how would you get tens of millions of Russians to settle in the southern parts of the Russian Empire (or Russian Republic)?

Basically, I want to see a scenario where a quarter of Russia's Russian population lives in its southern territories. Roughly, this would mean all Russian territories south of Rostov--excluding the city of Rostov itself. Also, Russia is free to expand even further in this scenario just as long as it is realistic. Thus, for instance, Russia could take Ottoman Armenia and Trebizond from the Ottomans (for instance, in the mid-1890s), take the Caspian Sea coastline from Persia (Iran), maybe take northern Afghanistan, and take Xinjiang and Mongolia from China. Thus, if a lot of Russians will settle in these newly acquired territories, then it is also going to count for the purposes of my question/scenario here.

Anyway, any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Non-Hispanic White Americans certainly didn't need a new Ice Age to settle in the southern parts of the US--and most of Russia is much colder than even the northern US is. Thus, why exactly should something as drastic as a new Ice Age actually be required for this?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
If you mean a quarter of all ethnic Russians of the Russian empire/soviet union, then take Stalin and amplify him by 300%. In real life Stalin did do a lot to relocate the population of the Soviet union, including moving Russians into non-Russian regions. To do the numbers you mention would take a lot.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If you mean a quarter of all ethnic Russians of the Russian empire/soviet union, then take Stalin and amplify him by 300%. In real life Stalin did do a lot to relocate the population of the Soviet union, including moving Russians into non-Russian regions. To do the numbers you mention would take a lot.
Is there any way to do this without forced deportations, though? I mean, the US certainly didn't require forced deportations for getting almost a quarter of its Non-Hispanic White population to live in either Florida or the Southwest.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Is there any way to do this without forced deportations, though? I mean, the US certainly didn't require forced deportations for getting almost a quarter of its Non-Hispanic White population to live in either Florida or the Southwest.
That's because people wanted to live there, for whatever reason Russians didn't want to move south. America had freedom so people could move if they had the means. Russia was a dictatorship; not much incentive to move if in such a system.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That's because people wanted to live there, for whatever reason Russians didn't want to move south. America had freedom so people could move if they had the means. Russia was a dictatorship; not much incentive to move if in such a system.
If you noticed, though, I explicitly said that either the Russian Empire survives (and reforms--perhaps I should have made this specific part clearer) or a moderate, democratic, non-Bolshevik Russian republic survives in this scenario. Thus, in this scenario, people in Russia actually are going to have freedom of movement.

Also, if you'll notice, the city of Krasnodar on this interactive map was only Russia's 25th most populous city in 1950 but will be Russia's 15th most populous city in 2035:

World City Populations Interactive Map 1950-2035

In addition, according to the first link here, the Kuban was actually one of Russia's largest recipients of internal migration in 2000, 2010, and 2016:

a study influencing the socioeconomic migration russia - Google Search

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Problem is, free Russia may mean the southern regions break away.
To some extent, this is certainly true. However, please keep in mind that Armenians and Georgians relied on the Russians to protect themselves from the Turks and that even Central Asians might not be that eager to secede if they will get pampered and if it will look like they will have a genuine say in both Russia's affairs and their own affairs. I mean, Central Asians overwhelmingly voted in favor of keeping the Soviet Union in March 1991 in real life--possibly in large part because they strongly enjoyed being subsidized by Moscow.