How do you get a lot of Russians to settle in the southern parts of the Russian Empire?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Yeah, if the USSR/Russia actually wanted to engage in economic reforms, it would presumably need a lot of Western aid and investment. That's probably going to be much harder to obtain if it insists on keeping all of its territory by force.

If the Baltic states break away from Russia in the early 20th century in a scenario without Communism, are the other Great Powers actually willing to suspend their trade and economic relations with Russia in exchange for a Russian recognition of Baltic independence?
You mean would the other great powers put an embargo on non-communist Russia until they recognize Baltic independence? Depends on the circumstances, especially with who wins ww1. Assuming the allies still win and Russia wins or avoids the civil war, then maybe. Depends on the order of events. Their fate would be connected to the independence movements in Poland, Finland and other states. In any scenario Russia would be in poor shape and the threat of a western embargo and wars against separatists may spark more civil unrest. Russia may think reconquering the Baltic may not be worth it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You mean would the other great powers put an embargo on non-communist Russia until they recognize Baltic independence? Depends on the circumstances, especially with who wins ww1. Assuming the allies still win and Russia wins or avoids the civil war, then maybe. Depends on the order of events. Their fate would be connected to the independence movements in Poland, Finland and other states. In any scenario Russia would be in poor shape and the threat of a western embargo and wars against separatists may spark more civil unrest. Russia may think reconquering the Baltic may not be worth it.
The Bolsheviks tried to reconquer the Baltics during the Russian Civil War in spite of Russia-West relations being extremely bad during this time, though.

Also, TBH, the best course of action for Russia here is likely to completely avoid WWI. Of course, this would in turn raise the question of whether Germany would be willing to militarily assist any Baltic independence movements that might emerge as well as on what the other Great Powers are subsequently going to do.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The Bolsheviks tried to reconquer the Baltics during the Russian Civil War in spite of Russia-West relations being extremely bad during this time, though.

Also, TBH, the best course of action for Russia here is likely to completely avoid WWI. Of course, this would in turn raise the question of whether Germany would be willing to militarily assist any Baltic independence movements that might emerge as well as on what the other Great Powers are subsequently going to do.
The Soviets wanted to turn the entire order of the world upside down, they knew they weren't going to be popular so they went full out.
If Russia didn't participate in ww1 the war wouldn't have escalated beyond Austria-Hungary and Serbia.

Jan 2014
Rus
What about Ottoman Armenia?

Basically, I think that Russia's approach in regards to this should have been comparable to that of the US. As in, can you acquire a lot of land that is useful for settlement purposes at a low cost in terms of both money and lives? If so, then do it! The US made a really smart move in acquiring the Louisiana Territory, Florida, Texas, southern Oregon Country, and the Mexican Cession. :)
But USA didnt take Cuba. And i think they could smash remnant Mexica or Canada, but didnt do it. I think there is no general rules here.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
But USA didnt take Cuba.
And that was a mistake, in my honest opinion. It's too bad that the US Congress passed the Teller Amendment in 1898 to prohibit this. :(

And i think they could smash remnant Mexica or Canada, but didnt do it. I think there is no general rules here.
The US should have tried taking more Mexican territory during the Mexican Revolution in the 1910s. As for Canada, it would have been nice to conquer, but this required US victory in a war over Great Britain and that was something that was certainly not guaranteed for an extremely long time.

Jan 2014
Rus
Was western Ukraine actually more industrialized than Russia was in the 1910s?
I Dont know. And of course its impossible to compare large country with small region. Sure that many regions in Russia were more industrialized than Galichina. I think, there only areas tied with oil production were industrial , others were pretty rural.

But I wished attachment of W.Ukraine, not because of industry, but because they are people related to Russians and Ukrainians...There is one of big questions in Russian history. People cannot understand whats for Alexandr I took Varshava, but not Galicia.

Also, in any case, western Ukraine can't actually be acquired without a long war unless Austria-Hungary experiences some type of severe internal uprising/revolution/collapse--which certainly isn't impossible, though.
I quite confused already. I thought we say about case of keeping of Tzar and Russian victory in WWI.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I Dont know. And of course its impossible to compare large country with small region. Sure that many regions in Russia were more industrialized than Galichina. I think, there only areas tied with oil production were industrial , others were pretty rural.

But I wished attachment of W.Ukraine, not because of industry, but because they are people related to Russians and Ukrainians...There is one of big questions in Russian history. People cannot understand whats for Alexandr I took Varshava, but not Galicia.
Would you also take Subcarpathian Ruthenia and Lemko Land?

I quite confused already. I thought we say about case of keeping of Tzar and Russian victory in WWI.
We could be talking about that. I was simply pointing out that my own preference would be for Russia to acquire additional territory without a World War. For instance, capturing Ottoman Armenia and the coastline north of it in the mid-1890s during the Hamidian Massacres.

Jan 2014
Rus
The deportation was 10% but much of the Russian population (around a third of their population) was brought in during this period.
Lithuania had much more % of deported population than Latvia and Estonia. I think that 10% is Lithuania's number, but not Latvia's or Estonia's. Nonetheless % of russian population in Lithuania was much less than in Latvia and Estonia. So deportations werent main reason of russian influx in baltic republics.