How do you get an expansionist India after independence?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Agreed. If the technologically advanced and militarily powerful Soviets got involved, India would probably sue for peace while at the same time shrewdly attempting to maintain as much of its territorial concessions as possible. Perhaps getting Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Burma out of the deal? While having to cede its Chinese conquests?
The Soviets might want to kick India out of Tibet as well in order to establish friendlier ties with China. The rest of its conquests, though, India might be able to keep.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Though Indian expansion would certainly be possible in Afghanistan where the great powers had no territorial claims. Also possible would be an invasion of politically neutral Persia which would be unlikely to gain allies at that time.

Perhaps expansion into the Middle East?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Though Indian expansion would certainly be possible in Afghanistan where the great powers had no territorial claims.
This would only be viable if there is no Pakistan. Also, the USSR might want northern Afghanistan for itself.

Also possible would be an invasion of politically neutral Persia which would be unlikely to gain allies at that time.
Not happening due to oil. The West didn't let Saddam have oil-rich Kuwait and it is very unlikely to let India have oil-rich Persia.

Perhaps expansion into the Middle East?
The West is unlikely to tolerate this either due to oil. Unless perhaps India wants to invade dirt-poor Yemen?

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
How exactly do you make India be expansionist after independence?

For the record, I don't mean territories such as Hyderabad or Kashmir or Junagadh or Goa. Rather, I mean have India expand beyond these territories to territories that it never either controlled or claimed in real life. Also, this expansion needs to happen after India's independence; thus, an independent united India which includes both Pakistan and Bangladesh won't cut it because India would have acquired these territories at the point of independence.

Anyway, any thoughts on how to accomplish this?
One doesn't have to look anything beyond the British India for this. Its power and control (direct or indirect) spread over a wide region. Actually the British rulers in New Delhi acted semi-autonomously from London in this regard. It exerted control over Afghanistan, Burma, Aden, Persian Gulf region, Sri Lanka smaller countries of Indian Ocean, Singapore, and Malaysia I think. It was responsible for the peace and stability of a vast region.

For India to have something like that again, its people and leaders have to cultivate a totally different mindset than they have now. They have to think and behave like the British during the British days. They have to dream high, think globally, act high, and deliver. They should earn it the hard way as the British did. Indian culture itself has to change. I just don't believe Indians have it in them. May be, just may be, It could happen some time in the future. If and when it happens Indians won't be anything like the present ones.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
This would only be viable if there is no Pakistan. Also, the USSR might want northern Afghanistan for itself.

Not happening due to oil. The West didn't let Saddam have oil-rich Kuwait and it is very unlikely to let India have oil-rich Persia.

The West is unlikely to tolerate this either due to oil. Unless perhaps India wants to invade dirt-poor Yemen?
True. Not sure when oil reserves were first discovered in the Persian Gulf. If the invasion occurred before the discovery, I am not sure that the West or the Soviets would be concerned over it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
One doesn't have to look anything beyond the British India for this. Its power and control (direct or indirect) spread over a wide region. Actually the British rulers in New Delhi acted semi-autonomously from London in this regard. It exerted control over Afghanistan, Burma, Aden, Persian Gulf region, Sri Lanka smaller countries of Indian Ocean, Singapore, and Malaysia I think. It was responsible for the peace and stability of a vast region.

For India to have something like that again, its people and leaders have to cultivate a totally different mindset than they have now. They have to think and behave like the British during the British days. They have to dream high, think globally, act high, and deliver. They should earn it the hard way as the British did. Indian culture itself has to change. I just don't believe Indians have it in them. May be, just may be, It could happen some time in the future. If and when it happens Indians won't be anything like the present ones.
Makes sense.

Also, I want direct Indian annexations (Kashmir-style and Goa-style) rather than the mere creation of Indian puppet/satellite states.

Dec 2018
Australia
Makes sense.

Also, I want direct Indian annexations (Kashmir-style and Goa-style) rather than the mere creation of Indian puppet/satellite states.
Another scary thought. If India can get nuclear weapons without being expansionist. What would a nuclear armed expansionist India look like?
Would it follow a similar line of though as China has? (Although it wouldn't have a Taiwan) or would it act totally different?