How do you get an expansionist India after independence?

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
I could envision an expansionist India in this scenario laying claim to Aden, not only due to the Indian presence there during the British Imperial Period, but also for the purpose of getting a foothold in the oil rich Persian Gulf and projecting naval power through the establishment of a blue water fleet.

Feb 2019
Ariaca
You can't get that. Beside some 10-12% communities who are descendants of Martial people rest are weak people with no Martial History.

Indians as a whole are weak people with weak ( andVeg)diet weak physique, these qualities don't produce warrior nations. Unless that 10% community takes over the control.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I could envision an expansionist India in this scenario laying claim to Aden, not only due to the Indian presence there during the British Imperial Period, but also for the purpose of getting a foothold in the oil rich Persian Gulf and projecting naval power through the establishment of a blue water fleet.
Might India also want Djibouti after France withdraws from there?

Apr 2015
India
Yes, the fact that the Mughals were Muslims certainly would prove problematic. Do you know of any powerful Hindu expansionist kingdoms? I am not too familiar with Indian history.
Actually, Mughal rule was only confined to Delhi by the British made their first conquest in India 1757, by that time most of India was conquered by Marathas, a native Hindu dynasty originating from Sahyadri mountains of West Coast of India, in 1758 Marathas conquered Delhi also. Mughals continued to hold the title of "Emperor of India" until 1858 but in really they hardly ruled any territory, after the 1857 uprising the Emperor was exiled to Burma and died there.

Apr 2015
India
How exactly do you make India be expansionist after independence?

For the record, I don't mean territories such as Hyderabad or Kashmir or Junagadh or Goa. Rather, I mean have India expand beyond these territories to territories that it never either controlled or claimed in real life. Also, this expansion needs to happen after India's independence; thus, an independent united India which includes both Pakistan and Bangladesh won't cut it because India would have acquired these territories at the point of independence.

Anyway, any thoughts on how to accomplish this?
These territories are considered as historical Indian land, so they were assimilated into India. But outside of that there was hardly any scope of Indian expansion. Nepal is a different case, there is an open border treaty with Nepal. Tibet or Burma were never associated to Indian history.

May 2014
SoCal
Actually, Mughal rule was only confined to Delhi by the British made their first conquest in India 1757, by that time most of India was conquered by Marathas, a native Hindu dynasty originating from Sahyadri mountains of West Coast of India, in 1758 Marathas conquered Delhi also. Mughals continued to hold the title of "Emperor of India" until 1858 but in really they hardly ruled any territory, after the 1857 uprising the Emperor was exiled to Burma and died there.
The Mughals did previously control much more territory, though:

Mughal Empire - Wikipedia

These territories are considered as historical Indian land, so they were assimilated into India. But outside of that there was hardly any scope of Indian expansion. Nepal is a different case, there is an open border treaty with Nepal. Tibet or Burma were never associated to Indian history.
Why does India have open borders with Nepal?

Similar History Discussions