How do you get Belarus and the Baltic states to have a much larger population right now?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In a thread elsewhere on this forum, I asked why exactly Belarus and the Baltic states have such few people. I was told that the main reason is that the climate of these territories simply isn't very appealing to a lot of people due to it being too cold. In turn, this raises the question:

Is there any realistic way for Belarus and the Baltic states to have a much larger population (as in, at least three times larger) right now than they have in real life? Specifically, I want a "point of departure"(from real life) of 1850 or later for this scenario of mine.

I know that getting rid of the World Wars, Holocaust, and Communism would be a great way of significantly boosting the population of these territories, but I simply don't think that it's going to be enough considering that I want a population at least three times larger for these territories in comparison to the population that they have in real life. In turn, this raises the question of how exactly one should aim to realistically accomplish this.

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Here's an idea--In addition to avoiding the demographic devastation of the World Wars and Communism (both of which are extremely obvious and both of which I had already mentioned in my original post here), Russia builds a canal between the Dvina (Daugava) and the Dnieper Rivers:

Could the construction of such a canal and the increase in trade and shipping through these rivers that such a canal would likely produce result in much more people being willing to settle on the territory through which this canal goes?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
By the 20th century such a canal wouldn't be a significant factor. The Rhine-Danube and going through the Mediterranean would be a more developed trade route. The political geography would also be a factor, who rules the Baltic and Belarus in this timeline?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For this scenario, a huge power such as Russia is going to have to be in charge of both of these regions since an independent Belarus and independent Baltic states certainly aren't going to want their titular ethnic group to become a minority in their own country.

Reactions: Kotromanic

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
What about the counterfactual of a quick and decisive Central Powers victory in WWI?

There would be the opportunity for migration from the German Southwest into Latvia and a lesser extent the other Baltic States. Belarus? More difficult for me conceive of immigration to that state.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What about the counterfactual of a quick and decisive Central Powers victory in WWI?

There would be the opportunity for migration from the German Southwest into Latvia and a lesser extent the other Baltic States. Belarus?
Were there a lot of landless peasants in the German southwest? If so, couldn't they have wanted to move to the cities instead?

More difficult for me conceive of immigration to that state.
Well, Germany could try creating a Jewish homeland in Belarus, could it not? :)

Feb 2014
Miami
Prevent ww1-interperiod-ww2 and they would have more population. A lot of depopulation comes from war especially when it’s fought along this territories