How do you see the LEBENSBORN nazi program and it’s consequences?

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hy members.

It’s the first time I start a thread in this European forum.

Some time ago I saw that “Mothers of the third reich” movie. After that, I’ve been reading a lot about the “Lebensborn” nazi program to reverse the declining birth rate among the supposed to be aryans.

The program basically had two parts. One of them was kidnapping children in occupied countries with the physical traits they wanted and bringing those children to Germany, to be raised as good nazis. The other part was increasing births, for which blonde-haired and blue-eyed girls in Germany and occupied countries were encouraged to mate with SS members.

What surprised me the most is that young women participating, were not raped to get pregnant. (is that correct?) Instead, they were applying for, even in occupied countries. And many of those women got rejected for not proving the purity of their aryan race.

I was also surprised to find that after the war, Norway found and brought back most of the kidnapped children. Also in post-war Norway, it seems that people born from the program, with norwegian mother and SS father, got heavy discrimination both from state agencies and from the people (with very serious cases of raping, imprisonment, drugs testing, etc.). Not to mention the norweigan mothers of those children.

So, my inquisitiveness or curiosity is… and members from involved countries can sure give your first hand opinions…

Do you think the POST-WAR GOVERNMENTS OF NAZI-OCCUPIED COUNTRIES acted enough about this issue?? To find the kidnapped children?? To uncover the possible accomplices in each place?? I realize it is a difficult matter to mesure since many of those post-war governments were also part of a foreign occupation force (the soviets).

What about POST-WAR GERMANY?? Eastern and western… Did this governments really collaborate to give the information about this issue and, when needed, to return people back to their original families??

Was there a point where Norway’s government seriously tried to STOP THE MISTREATMENT of the involved people? To compensate the damage?

What happened in other occupied countries after the war, like Austria, Slovenija, Polska, France or Ukrajina (was Crimea part of it back then) during the implementation of the program?? Did people in this countries also stigmatize the “german whores” and their “german bastards”??

I’d appreciate your comments and corrections if I’m making wrong statements or assumptions.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Belgium
Hy members.

It’s the first time I start a thread in this European forum.

Some time ago I saw that “Mothers of the third reich” movie. After that, I’ve been reading a lot about the “Lebensborn” nazi program to reverse the declining birth rate among the supposed to be aryans.

The program basically had two parts. One of them was kidnapping children in occupied countries with the physical traits they wanted and bringing those children to Germany, to be raised as good nazis. The other part was increasing births, for which blonde-haired and blue-eyed girls in Germany and occupied countries were encouraged to mate with SS members.

What surprised me the most is that young women participating, were not raped to get pregnant. (is that correct?) Instead, they were applying for, even in occupied countries. And many of those women got rejected for not proving the purity of their aryan race.

I was also surprised to find that after the war, Norway found and brought back most of the kidnapped children. Also in post-war Norway, it seems that people born from the program, with norwegian mother and SS father, got heavy discrimination both from state agencies and from the people (with very serious cases of raping, imprisonment, drugs testing, etc.). Not to mention the norweigan mothers of those children.

So, my inquisitiveness or curiosity is… and members from involved countries can sure give your first hand opinions…

Do you think the POST-WAR GOVERNMENTS OF NAZI-OCCUPIED COUNTRIES acted enough about this issue?? To find the kidnapped children?? To uncover the possible accomplices in each place?? I realize it is a difficult matter to mesure since many of those post-war governments were also part of a foreign occupation force (the soviets).

What about POST-WAR GERMANY?? Eastern and western… Did this governments really collaborate to give the information about this issue and, when needed, to return people back to their original families??

Was there a point where Norway’s government seriously tried to STOP THE MISTREATMENT of the involved people? To compensate the damage?

What happened in other occupied countries after the war, like Austria, Slovenija, Polska, France or Ukrajina (was Crimea part of it back then) during the implementation of the program?? Did people in this countries also stigmatize the “german whores” and their “german bastards”??

I’d appreciate your comments and corrections if I’m making wrong statements or assumptions.
maTiasddsm,

a bit related to your question, but it don't answer all what you ask:

It is in French, and I mention German language articles in the thread.
Perhaps can my friend Isleifson, who is fluent in French, German and English can give the essence of the German articles...for me as neerlandophone it is a bit difficult to translate it all or to make a résumé...and yes in my research I found the same about Sweden...
Forum Histoire - Passion Histoire ? Consulter le sujet - Statut des femmes dans le Lebensborn
Statute of the women in Lebensborn

My comment on the German language sites:
"Selon moi le plus pertinent sur la question: toutes les femmes vont là bas d'un acte volontaire, parce qu'elles sont prégnant sans époux (et la société allemande n'est pas encore préparé à ça, c'est pour ça que monsieur tout le monde les traite mal) ou d'autres raisons comme les femmes SS pour échaper aux bombes sur les grandes villes..."
In my opinion the most pertinent answer to the question: all the women went there in a voluntary act, because for instance they are pregnant without husband (and the German society isn't yet prepeared for this, it's for that that the man in the street don't deal with them that nice) or other reasons as the SS women to escape the bombing on the big cities...

https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=...bensborn.doc&usg=AOvVaw1yV9Fc5XBXOTxwODGNChyh
Das Lebensborn

Kind regards, Paul.

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Rinat.
That wiki article you quoted, also mentions that six children died in the German Lebensborn orphanages. Could it be possible that one Lidice child efectively ended in a nazi family?
Plus... it mentions that some Czech village of Ležáky were sent to be "aryanised" (whatever it means). Are those children identified??

Sep 2016
Prague
Hey Rinat.
That wiki article you quoted, also mentions that six children died in the German Lebensborn orphanages. Could it be possible that one Lidice child efectively ended in a nazi family?
Plus... it mentions that some Czech village of Ležáky were sent to be "aryanised" (whatever it means). Are those children identified??
I don't know really. Not an expert on this... There are articles in Czech magazines about this, (I am a Czech resident); but I don't remember them too well.

There is a Czech author I can strongly recommend. Bohumil Hrabal. Lebensborn are mentioned in his book (probably the best one)
I served the King of England.

I'm afraid that my knowledge of Lebensborn is limited to this...
Good luck with your research!

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I'm fairly sure that my ex German wife was Lebensborn. Her family had several daughters that did not all look the same. They were a NAZI extended family as well. My ex mother-in-law used the word Lebensborn without further explanation on more than one occasion. We communicated in German, as flawed as my German was. My ex's nominal father was Austrian, while my ex mother-in-law was from Hanover, Ger. How they met, I have no idea. He was in a P.O.W. camp in Egypt when my ex was born in Linz, Austria in 1943. I met my ex in West Berlin, and knew nothing of her family back in West Germany. I basically got married in order to move out of the barracks, ha ha, and found it amusing when I was going through the process of getting permission to marry from the Army at various offices. I'm thinking of when I walked down the red-marble walled corridor in what was previously General Keitel's headquarters. Then I presented my future wife's birth certificate, which was duly stamped with the NAZI eagle holding the swastika. The Jewsish-looking U.S. officer gave me a very glum unfriendly look when he saw it. She is long since remarried to a German man.
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Norway
I've just read more about Norway and Lebensborn and I'm shocked by how central my country was to the program. The first Lebensborn orphanage outside Germany was in Norway. The largest Lebensborn program outside Germany was here. In a way it makes sense. Himmler visited Oslo in the 1930's and was very impressed by how "aryan" we are.
The Nordic countries were considered the most "pure" Aryans a long with the Germans and the Dutch. Sweden was neutral, Finland was an independent ally, Denmark had some self rule until 1944 and Iceland was occupied by the UK/USA. Norway was the obvious place to look, I guess.

I saw a list of Lebensborn orphanages in Norway, there were about ten of them, and I have unknowingly been to a couple of them.

Similar History Discussions