how do you think in Korean Modern History?

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
One thing that I often see is that authors who write about Korea but don't specialize in it often assume that the situation at the end of the 19th century was the way it always was. Two giant empires of China and Japan competing over Korea, whose sovereignty was in serious question.

Dec 2018
East
Maybe the Netflix drama you watched was about the Korean guerrillas?

The history of Korean guerrillas war in 1907~1915 is a big part of Korea's modern history.
They were mostly armed with matchlocks, Percussion cap muskets, and several soldiers armed with bolt-action and lever-action rifles.
In the end, they were defeated by the Japanese army.
but it was a massive resistance, which later greatly affected the Korean independence movement.
In my personal opinion, to choose the three biggest events in modern Korean history, the March 1 Movement, the Korean War, the April 19 Revolution.

I'll tell you why I chose it.

First of all, March 1st.

With the largest resistance movement in the Korean independence movement, though important as the history of the independence movement, the resistance movement has become the root of the republic's history. Because the movement began when the emperor died, but the content of the movement was to establish a republic, not a kingdom.

So in addition to the well-known slogan "Hurrah of India" when exercising, he also wrote "Hurrah of the Public."

Second, Korean War
It is a total war between South and North Korea and an important event because many people have experienced it. There are still many older people in Korea who remember about the Korean War.

Third, the April 19 Revolution.
I think it has become the root of Korean democracy.

These three cases are being studied extensively in Korea. If you are interested, I will keep writing here.

Dec 2018
East
One thing that I often see is that authors who write about Korea but don't specialize in it often assume that the situation at the end of the 19th century was the way it always was. Two giant empires of China and Japan competing over Korea, whose sovereignty was in serious question.
Maybe because of the Donghak peasant movement in 1894, or because of the righteous army in 1895. However, the modern history of Korea is very difficult for Koreans, so I understand.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Maybe because of the Donghak peasant movement in 1894, or because of the righteous army in 1895. However, the modern history of Korea is very difficult for Koreans, so I understand.
Yeah another thing is that the Choson dynasty was going to end very soon by the late 19th century regardless of foreign intervention or not. Most Korean dynasties lasted around 500 years, and Choson was about that age. Choson began to seriously decline beginning around 1800, plagued by corruption, different clans competing for influence in the court, financial problems, rebellions, and crop failures.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
East
Yeah another thing is that the Choson dynasty was going to end very soon by the late 19th century regardless of foreign intervention or not. Most Korean dynasties lasted around 500 years, and Choson was about that age. Choson began to seriously decline beginning around 1800, plagued by corruption, different clans competing for influence in the court, financial problems, rebellions, and crop failures.
Some say that the Joseon Dynasty fell into the trap of Malthus in the early and mid-19th centuries. And from the late 19th century to the early 20th century, Korean historians are offering different answers to socio-economic history.

So I can't give you a definite answer, but personally, the funny group at this time is the merchant(보부상).

Merchants(보부상) got to have a nationwide network through ships, loyal to the emperor, and fought as soldiers as well.

With the case, Gil Young-soo, a close aide to King Gojong and former head of the Pyongyang unit of the Korean Empire, served as a merchant and head of the Imperial Society.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Thank you so much :) I had no idea the Japanese occupation caused nationalism to get stronger
This isn't that surprising, once you think about it. Napoleon's occupation of much of Europe also helped strengthen nationalism there.

Reactions: momodora123

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Some say that the Joseon Dynasty fell into the trap of Malthus in the early and mid-19th centuries. And from the late 19th century to the early 20th century, Korean historians are offering different answers to socio-economic history.

So I can't give you a definite answer, but personally, the funny group at this time is the merchant(보부상).

Merchants(보부상) got to have a nationwide network through ships, loyal to the emperor, and fought as soldiers as well.

With the case, Gil Young-soo, a close aide to King Gojong and former head of the Pyongyang unit of the Korean Empire, served as a merchant and head of the Imperial Society.
I haven't studied this period very much but that actually has piqued my interest.

Dec 2018
East
A merchant is an organization that sells goods while walking around. They used a branch or boat to carry goods, but few carts were used because there were mountains in Korea, making them more convenient than carts.
And because the river was deep inland, it was easier to use the ship than the cart to carry it on a large scale.

So the harbor developed and various merchants emerged to compete and lobbied the government in order to win the competition.

And because merchants go to mountains and mountains, mountains and wild animals in the mountains have become a threat to merchants, they armed matchrock musket and number of weapons.

The merchants of the late Joseon Dynasty then grew greatly, and Joseon, which passed through the middle of the 19th century, needed an army and used them as a military force.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
A merchant is an organization that sells goods while walking around. They used a branch or boat to carry goods, but few carts were used because there were mountains in Korea, making them more convenient than carts.
And because the river was deep inland, it was easier to use the ship than the cart to carry it on a large scale.

So the harbor developed and various merchants emerged to compete and lobbied the government in order to win the competition.

And because merchants go to mountains and mountains, mountains and wild animals in the mountains have become a threat to merchants, they armed matchrock musket and number of weapons.

The merchants of the late Joseon Dynasty then grew greatly, and Joseon, which passed through the middle of the 19th century, needed an army and used them as a military force.
Also the risk of bandits.