how do you think in Korean Modern History?

Dec 2018
East
At the end of the Joseon Dynasty, local troops collapsed, so the Joseon government thought of village defense strategies instead of local troops, and the period of Daewon-gun was actually implemented.

The Joseon government's village defense strategy was to spread weapons on the private sector so that the village militia could be armed, and as a result of its implementation, 100,000 Match Rock Musket were in the private sector.

Apr 2019
Korea
I watched your video well.
Is it related to WW1 Japan's wealth and the March 1 Movement ?
It is about how WW2 Japan's forced occupation of Korea was brutal with the use of military police as a tool to imprison and use violence against Korean civilians, and how Koreans peacefully marched against Japan to demonstrate to the world that Korea's destiny shall be determined by the will of Koreans only, not by the violence used by outside forces.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
One of the things which fascinate me is the clash of Westerners with Korea at the end of the 19th century
invaded by both the French and the Americans , left alone only for Japan to invade

Dec 2018
East
It is about how WW2 Japan's forced occupation of Korea was brutal with the use of military police as a tool to imprison and use violence against Korean civilians, and how Koreans peacefully marched against Japan to demonstrate to the world that Korea's destiny shall be determined by the will of Koreans only, not by the violence used by outside forces.
oh thank you. this is good answer. But I have a few more questions.
I wonder where the death toll from the March 1st Movement came from.
Is it coming from the Korean Independent Movement Hemostasis History(한국독립운동지혈사)?

One of the things which fascinate me is the clash of Westerners with Korea at the end of the 19th century
invaded by both the French and the Americans , left alone only for Japan to invade
The clash between France and the U.S. and Joseon is impressive.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
Is it coming from the Korean Independent Movement Hemostasis History(한국독립운동지혈사)?

The clash between France and the U.S. and Joseon is impressive.
The French could not break Korean fortifications that were not even manned by actual soldiers but tiger hunters, IIRC. The US did a lot better.

Jun 2013
Australia
How close was the ROK considering an invasion of the DPRK in the 1948-1950 period when both sides were engaged in brinkmanship? We know in actual history Kim il Sung beat Synman Rhee to the punch.

Apr 2019
Korea

-> Yes, that is correct. President Moon Jae-In even quoted the same source in his presidential speech on March 1st Movement earlier this year. Korean Independence Movement Hemostasis History was written by Park Eun-Shik in 1920. It is one of the most quoted and reputable sources about March 1st Movement.

Dec 2018
East
The French could not break Korean fortifications that were not even manned by actual soldiers but tiger hunters, IIRC. The US did a lot better.
yes. Tiger hunters fought with the French army, and later with the Japanese army. And besides the hunter, the Joseon army used more than 200 old cannons in its battle against France.

How close was the ROK considering an invasion of the DPRK in the 1948-1950 period when both sides were engaged in brinkmanship? We know in actual history Kim il Sung beat Synman Rhee to the punch.
Unfortunately, I can't give you an answer because I don't know a definite answer to that question. Because the U.S. did not support South Korea with tanks and airplanes out of concern that South Korea would start a war, but it is not certain because it did not check South Korea's documents to see if it actually wanted to go to war.
Personally, perhaps the Korean government made a belligerent gesture to get U.S. support, and the U.S. misjudged it. So it is negative about whether the South intended to actively attack the North.

Meanwhile, as a different story goes, I oppose the opinion of some people who see the Korean War as an extension of a regional war between the two Koreas before the Korean War. The reason for the break out of the Korean War is the Soviet Union's support for North Korea and its approval of the war.

Lastly, there is a good history book by a Korean scholar on the cause of the break out of the Korean War, but it is not clear whether it has been translated into English.

Yes, that is correct. President Moon Jae-In even quoted the same source in his presidential speech on March 1st Movement earlier this year. Korean Independence Movement Hemostasis History was written by Park Eun-Shik in 1920. It is one of the most quoted and reputable sources about March 1st Movement.
I also saw the book and it was used by many people. In addition to the book, I saw other books about the 3.1 movement. The most impressive book was a collection of materials created by PGROK(대한민국 임시정부). And what is impressive about the March 1 Movement is that some of the protests involved more than 10,000 people.
It is something that cannot be seen in other Korean independence movements.

Last edited: