How does winning or losing affect your behavior towards your opponents?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
According to this study winners rub it in on losers but not the other way around. Does this apply to you?

WINNING MAKES PEOPLE MORE AGGRESSIVE TOWARD THE DEFEATED

COLUMBUS, Ohio – In this world, there are winners and losers – and, for your own safety, it is best to fear the winners.
A new study found that winners – those who outperformed others on a competitive task – acted more aggressively against the people they beat than the losers did against the victors.
Winning Makes People More Aggressive Toward The Defeated

SomeGuy

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
California
Did we really need a study for something that's just common sense? Yeah, I tend to get really hyped up when I win. I can't exactly rub it in or gloat when I lose.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The winner takes it all, is not only the title of a song, but a common principal in human existence.

"All" involves also emotions and positive feelings. It's obvious that the mood of the winner is better than the mood of the loser and this usually at behavioral level puts the loser in a condition of psychological inferiority, while the winner feels to be superior.

Then, it depends on the level of egotistic personality of the winner, if this subject will bully or not towards the loser.

A good rule would be to remember that you can win in a field, but you can lose in a different field ... facing the same opponent in both the fields.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Did we really need a study for something that's just common sense? Yeah, I tend to get really hyped up when I win. I can't exactly rub it in or gloat when I lose.
Honestly, I see this as a weakness. Of course, I like to win but to bully an opponent after defeating him/her shows a lack of self respect, and the same goes for losing a competitoin. If I lose a game and I see my opponent using that as a way to bully then that just makes me lose respect for that person.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Yes. Winning breads arrogance and an overinflated self worth, especially in team sports.
Happily, I've seen those same winners have to take a spoon full of defeat as well and
them losing is a sweet tonic.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
To be honest, I don't believe someone who wins often will do this. I see this as a trait that a person who has often lost and has been humiliated will do.