How easy was emigration from Iraq under Saddam Hussein?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How easy was emigration from Iraq under Saddam Hussein? Was it relatively easy to do? Or was it extremely hard to do (just like it is right now in, say, Eritrea)?

Any thoughts on this?

Jan 2015
Here and there
How easy was emigration from Iraq under Saddam Hussein? Was it relatively easy to do? Or was it extremely hard to do (just like it is right now in, say, Eritrea)?

Any thoughts on this?
My dad used to work in Iraq and emigration or even immigration (for Palestinians and other select Arabs particularly) wasnt a big issue. While Saddam's government could be cruel to its subjects,it didnt hinder freedom to take up other citizenship if need be. I knew many Iraqi women who married Indian ,Pakistani and British men and took up their citizenship.

Of course there was always the possibility that if you spoke up against the regime while abroad and this was brought to attention of the Baath party, your family back may bear the brunt of their wrath.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
My dad used to work in Iraq and emigration or even immigration (for Palestinians and other select Arabs particularly) wasnt a big issue. While Saddam's government could be cruel to its subjects,it didnt hinder freedom to take up other citizenship if need be. I knew many Iraqi women who married Indian ,Pakistani and British men and took up their citizenship.

Of course there was always the possibility that if you spoke up against the regime while abroad and this was brought to attention of the Baath party, your family back may bear the brunt of their wrath.
Thank you very much for sharing this information with us!

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC

Any thoughts on this?
1982-1990 was a no-travel time for most Iraqis (by law), exceptions were sports, industry, business, and if LUCKY, medical reasons.

Opened after 1990 for a while then restrictions on travel came about mainly against non-student males and medical doctors (some falsified documents to leave and never go back), also if it became known that someone is selling all their properties, bad things happened to them unless they were astute and careful enough to hide it.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2015
UK
Around 1992 I rented a room in shared house with bunch of students. One Iraqi student (mature) reigned over others - one Palestinian, three British-Paks and a Algerian. All students in Birmingham University.

He was very religious, very controlling and charismatic. He had the rest in a spell. Slowly I saw the change in the house right in middle of Selly Oak. TV was removed. Hi-fi was removed. Radios and other music mediums were banned. Everybody was required to pray, take off shoes at the entrance. And all grew beards. It was perfect proto-ISIL cell in the making.

I left soon after. I understand he had come from Iraq on student sponsorship with possible military background (he was doing electronic engineering) but had applied for asylum because of his religious inclinations he would face sanctions in Iraq. I lost contact with him but it would not surprise me if he has shifted over to ISIL by now, although by now he would be in his late 40s.

Reactions: Futurist