How far did Songhai expand?

Aug 2018
United States
I came across this map of Songhai but can't seem to find any sources or references confirming that it actually had any sort of control over the Kanem-Bornu empire. Does anyone have any sources to confirm this? Also what year did it happen? Thanks. 1538461272602.png

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
I came across this map of Songhai but can't seem to find any sources or references confirming that it actually had any sort of control over the Kanem-Bornu empire. Does anyone have any sources to confirm this? Also what year did it happen? Thanks. View attachment 12717

If the states that are shaded light are supposed to represent independent states that became vassals of Songhai, then I think the map maker was just confused. There was never any period where Kanem-Bornu was a tributary of Songhai. Songhai simply never had control over it and there are no sources which show that it did.

Aug 2018
United States
If the states that are shaded light are supposed to represent independent states that became vassals of Songhai, then I think the map maker was just confused. There was never any period where Kanem-Bornu was a tributary of Songhai. Songhai simply never had control over it and there are no sources which show that it did.
The legend says that they are tributary kingdoms. I was just wondering if anyone had any sources to confirm the validity of the image. I know that Songhai forced the Hausa states to pay tribute. Seeing as the Hausa bordered Kanem-Bornu, I could see it being possible, even if it was only breifly. I just haven't been able to uncover any info on it.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
The legend says that they are tributary kingdoms. I was just wondering if anyone had any sources to confirm the validity of the image. I know that Songhai forced the Hausa states to pay tribute. Seeing as the Hausa bordered Kanem-Bornu, I could see it being possible, even if it was only breifly. I just haven't been able to uncover any info on it.
If you could see it being possible, you should probably look for information about Kanem-Bornu. It's actually not really plausible.

The book is just getting its facts wrong.