How has South Africa fared after apartheid?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Time for the old “ One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter” saying. I thought the end of white rule in SA would be a bloodbath, which it wasn’t of course.
Sure, he handled the racial situation pretty well after apartheid, I'd say. This doesn't change that he was in charge of an organisation that committed terrorist attacks on civilians though. The UN condoned Apartheid but the SA government wasn't declared illegitimate, afaik. So his actions were little different than those of other terrorist groups such as ETA, Palestinians, ZANLA (I won't compare him to Al Qaida or ISIS although you probably agree that the latter two probably don't consider themselves terrorists either and believe to have a just cause).

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Sep 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Didn't quote the rest as i would like to focus on this. Consultancy is a scourge for people who don't know their business. This one is a case in point: You have a government with no experience and few real qualified people. Because they don't really know what to do, they take every advice they can get. The real problem with that is that of the consultants only 30% of them (independent of seniority or education) knows what they are talking about. They would have been better served by hiring a couple of (former) officials or ministers from countries with similar problems. Eg Russia, Kenya, Canada (for the mining) etc. These consultancy types bombard you with fancy sheets, reports and presentations, but the quality of the advice is often on the same level as painting advice from Ray Charles.

My colleague used to work as a consultant for Accenture. He described his role there as "convincingly pretending to know what I was talking about".

He was the head of UmKhonto we Swize, who performed terrorist actions such as bombings in public places throughout SA in which civilians were killed or wounded. Sounds like terrorism to me.
Well he was one of the founders of that organsation, but he was put in prison in 1964. Maybe I am wrong but I think that the bombings killing civilians were done during his prison term so out of his control.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Well he was one of the founders of that organsation, but he was put in prison in 1964. Maybe I am wrong but I think that the bombings killing civilians were done during his prison term so out of his control.
MK's first actions seem to be from 1961, I couldn't really find what they were though. Some sites state them as mere sabotages, others as attacks so go figure now ...

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
If we are uncertain, we probably shouldn't be saying that he was a terrorist.
Nobody should diss Mandela. After the switch he had a hand, which gave him every opportunity to seek out revenge, make himself a dictator or even "not intervene" with massacres. Yet he never did.
To come into power with his history and not turn into a Mugabe light (or 2.0) is very telling about the man he was. That he was surrounded by self-aggrandizers is a situation he got into due to his imprisonment, though he could have kicked them out (though I am very sure he had good reason not to).

Similar History Discussions