How has South Africa fared after apartheid?

Mar 2012
Following the breeze
If you look at the very same source that you provided, you will notice that it clearly states that this attacked was done by an organisation called the Azanian People's Liberation Army.

This group was the armed wing of a political organisation call the PAC (Which was a far more radical group btw), and had nothing to do with the ANC.

Mar 2012
Following the breeze
Didn't quote the rest as i would like to focus on this. Consultancy is a scourge for people who don't know their business. This one is a case in point: You have a government with no experience and few real qualified people. Because they don't really know what to do, they take every advice they can get. The real problem with that is that of the consultants only 30% of them (independent of seniority or education) knows what they are talking about. They would have been better served by hiring a couple of (former) officials or ministers from countries with similar problems. Eg Russia, Kenya, Canada (for the mining) etc. These consultancy types bombard you with fancy sheets, reports and presentations, but the quality of the advice is often on the same level as painting advice from Ray Charles.
Since Ray Charles was blind, is it the case that "when the blind leads the blind, both shall fall into a ditch"? Or is it that "painting advice from Ray Charles" means something that a person cannot possibly know?
George Bernard Shaw once stated "when a man teaches something he does not know to somebody else who has no aptitude for it, and gives him a certificate of proficiency, the latter has completed the education of a gentleman."
The above all means some essentially clueless or ignorant people trying to lead others to their ideals.
Do they understand the local needs and aspirations?
The Chinese idiom is 因地制宜 (suitability to the local needs); the Protestant Anthology's "Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you" isn't that golden at all; people have different needs and aspirations.
Willempie, I see that your knowledge of South African history is still very limited. I do appreciate the fact that you do take interest in South Africa though :) .

Between 1990 - 1994 South Africa was actually governed by a coalition government consisting of the former Apartheid administration as well as the new ANC political party. It was during this time that the new South African constitution was created, by BOTH parties.

After the 1994 elections, Mandela's actually appointed a cabinet which consisted of members of the former government, because he was well aware that the ANC lacked the experience to govern a country. In fact his ability to form a cooperative organisation between the old Apartheid administration and the new democratic organisation, is part of the reason that he was so successful at his job, and so admired by all racial groups.

Mar 2012
Following the breeze
Sure, he handled the racial situation pretty well after apartheid, I'd say. This doesn't change that he was in charge of an organisation that committed terrorist attacks on civilians though...
Wrong again Shtajerc. The primary role of Umkhonto weSizwe/MK was to go after military targets and infrastructural targets ONLY. Not civilians.

This is not to say that civilians did not get caught in the crossfire, but the instances where they did were very few and often a result of bad planning resulting in accidental civilian casualties.

Well he was one of the founders of that organsation, but he was put in prison in 1964. Maybe I am wrong but I think that the bombings killing civilians were done during his prison term so out of his control.
MK did not go after civilian targets, as you will notice from my above statement to Shtajerc :) .

Mar 2012
Following the breeze
Don't attempt to paint a glorified apartheid era picture; I know that South Africa was never a developed country.
Then, most people cherish the end of apartheid; the picture after the apartheid is quite mixed, I heard.
Economic progresses are made; how well are the gains shared?
How has the deep-rooted issues been resolved?
What is the future of South Africa?
To answer your question properly VHS, between 1994 to about 2008 South Africa's growth rate was so high and consistent that it was expected that by 2023 South Africa would have reached "1st world" development levels, in terms of the average lifestyle of it's citizens. Obviously there were still issues during this period, but all was mostly going well :) .

Unfortunately in 2009 Jacob Zuma took office. This guy proved to be the single biggest disaster for South Africa. He brought with him large scale corruption, he deliberately encouraged racial tensions and all other manners of issues which I can not even begin to get into. The point being, during his time in office, South Africa's development came to a stand still.

After an enormous amount of effort from civil organisations, opposition parties and various other entities, Jacob was finally unceremoniously booted out of office earlier this year. In his place came in Cyril Ramaphosa.

Cyril Ramaphosa has basically come into office with the country being in a disastrous situation. But thus far, despite his short time in office, he has proven to be an able and determined individual whose aims seem to be to get the country back on track. Only time will tell if he will succeed at this :) :

This video does a relatively good job of explaining the current situation in South Africa.

I am currently in South Africa for a short visit and I can tell you that there is definitely a lot of political tension and unease at the moment amongst the people of the country. But I also picked up a lot of hope and optimism about Cyril Ramaphosa now coming into office :) .

Last edited:
Mar 2012
Following the breeze
Terrible by all accounts. Blacks have long stated that the country and Africa were better when whites were in charge.
You know what, this is actually getting a little annoying :notrust: . Where is your proof??? Or is this just another case of someone commenting on something that they clearly know nothing about :notrust: ???

Mar 2014
Lithuania
Having HIV epidemics and treating your countrymen with beat juice and garlic is good example what happened with South Africa. Just timeline not after apartheid, but after Mandela. Mandela actually was doing great job, unfortunately there was no one to replace him.

Jul 2016
USA
Wrong again Shtajerc. The primary role of Umkhonto weSizwe/MK was to go after military targets and infrastructural targets ONLY. Not civilians.

This is not to say that civilians did not get caught in the crossfire, but the instances where they did were very few and often a result of bad planning resulting in accidental civilian casualties.

MK did not go after civilian targets, as you will notice from my above statement to Shtajerc :) .
Necklacing

More info on the execution method that you would claim was only done against military

Similar History Discussions