How important was World War II in causing British India to be partitioned in 1947?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which part of "We strongly discourage thread necromancy. Reviving and replying to threads older than 2 years is generally frowned upon. Instead, you can create a new thread and include a link to the old thread. " did you find hard to understand?
Sorry; I'll try to remember not to do it again from now on. :(

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
British were weakened by the war and then the naval mutiny happened in 1946
I do not give any credit to Naval mutiny or Gandhi/Congress agitations. The reasons were in their own economy. They did not have the will, like at the time of disintegration of Soviet Union. If they wanted to hold, they could have done so. They had a disciplined army.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I do not give any credit to Naval mutiny or Gandhi/Congress agitations. The reasons were in their own economy. They did not have the will, like at the time of disintegration of Soviet Union. If they wanted to hold, they could have done so. They had a disciplined army.
Could there have been a massive Indian rebellion had the Brits insisted on holding onto India, though?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Congress/Gandhi agitations were quite wide-spread right from right from Khilafat Movement in 1921, but non-violent. The British still carried on till 1947.

Reactions: Futurist