How Influential was Walter Duranty on FDR's policies?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
It is documented that Walter Duranty, the journalist who served as a bureau chief in Moscow during the early years of the Soviet Union influenced FDR sufficiently to have the U.S. officially recognize the USSR. Was he the sole influence in this decision by FDR? I wonder what, if any, other influence did Durant have upon the Roosevelt administration on foreign or domestic affairs.
THE JOURNALIST AND THE DICTATOR

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
How influential was FDR on Duranty?
Maybe not as outrageous a question as it may seem at first glance. The research I have done since I posted the OP indicates that FDR was anxious to establish relations with the USSR. The one part of Duranty's efforts that seemed to have been an important part of his influence upon FDR was Duranty's failure to disclose his knowledge about the Holodomor, of which he was aware, to FDR as he encouraged Roosevelt to initiate diplomatic relations with the USSR.
Holodomor - Wikipedia

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Maybe not as outrageous a question as it may seem at first glance.
I will readily confess to a number of bad habits. One is the incessant practice of testing assumptions,

In a process one might call divining the truth of history, assumptions work as replacements for missing information. The reason for testing assumptions is that if you don't know even what category of information you are missing, it might not be what you first assume. For example, in the Duranty-FDR connection, who is the ventriloquist and who is the dummy? I can think of no reason to assume Duranty holds the strings.

The research I have done since I posted the OP indicates that FDR was anxious to establish relations with the USSR. The one part of Duranty's efforts that seemed to have been an important part of his influence upon FDR was Duranty's failure to disclose his knowledge about the Holodomor, of which he was aware, to FDR as he encouraged Roosevelt to initiate diplomatic relations with the USSR.
Holodomor - Wikipedia
That's an awful lot of taking things at face value.

It would be my understanding that the Dawes Plan of 1924 and the Young Plan of 1928 were building up Germany with the US money (and 1928 is when capital begins to disappear from the US), Also, ca 1928, US capitalists are financing and providing talent for the USSR 5-year plan, and other little thing like Ford's truck factory at Gorky. All these "established relation" predates FDR's Presidency.
And in 1923, FDR began personally investing in German real estate to reap the hyperinflation of Wiemar printing presses and coming Dawes Plan infusions - in what one might ASSUME is a dicey political environment, because it the same year as the French Occupation of the Ruwer, the French funding and sending agents to facilitate the Bavarian secession movement, which Hitler that same year was arrested opposing with his storm troops.
Do you think FDR doesn't know what he is doing establishing relations and didn't have thousands of facts that you and I don't have?

Do you know the family history of the Delano's and Roosevelt's? These are the kinds of people who own newspapers, or finance the people whose name is on the masthead, and more control what is printed rather than use it as if they were remedial students in building fortunes and empire.. You really think a guy who is the 3-grand descendant of James Roosevelt, founder in the 1780's of the The Bank of New York, which was bailed out by Hamilton in the 1790's, and who works on "Wall Street" in the 1920s after being Secy of Nay, doesn't now EXACTLY where all the money is, who has it, who's in on what - and where all the bodies are going to be buried?

With all due respect, and sincere apologies for this rant
I find it very hard to believe some mockingbird named Duranty was covering up for Stalin's genocides and throwing Uncle Joe kisses for any other reason than that is what he was told to do. Yes, FDR was establishing relationships, continuing old ones and planning future ones.

As you can see, I have more than one bad habit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodger