How likely were you to meet a minority in Europe in the Middle Ages?

Nov 2014
ph
Say the year is 1000, how likely were you to meet someone who really looks non-native European in Silesia, Bohemia, or the Rhineland?

May 2019
Earth
I don't know about those places, but in eastern europe (e.g. the territories which are now Ukraine and European Russia) you could find Central Asians like the Cumans, Pechenegs, and Kipchaks. From what I've heard about these guys they had a bit of a mixed phenotype, some looked more European, others more Central Asian. Also, in the Kanin Peninsula you could find Nenets, who are of North Asian phenotype.

Reactions: Futurist

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Jewish merchants would look like Europeans.
Even after 900 more years of occasional intermarriage between Jews and Christians it was still possible to identify a Jew by looks alone. Just ask any Nazi, or anyone who agreed with them on this question. Nazi propaganda is full of claims that "Jews look funny/odd/different" or "You can tell he's Jewish just by looking at him." These claims fell on receptive ears. I doubt the Nazis would have made these claims if there was no credibility to the statement that Jews did look different than non-Jews. If this claim wasn't credible, there were so many other claims the Nazis could have made instead.

Even if there were no outward biological differences, there could be cultural differences - choices in fashion, hair style, name choices, etc.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
In the Rhineland the odds were 0%. Maybe some Jewish merchants, but that is it.
Give at least a 0,5% chance, the Hungarian raids were just a few generations away in the year 1000, maybe they also left around some of their seed among the local women that could still be visible back then :))

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Depends where you lived. In southern Spain in the year 1000? Very likely.

In Constantinople? Pretty likely, I would have thought.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Say the year is 1000, how likely were you to meet someone who really looks non-native European in Silesia, Bohemia, or the Rhineland?

According to the BBC as well as this movie (the gentleman on the right is Little John in case your wondered), they were numerous, perhaps even a majority all over Europe

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
According to the BBC as well as this movie (the gentleman on the right is Little John in case your wondered), they were numerous, perhaps even a majority all over Europe
Don't be ridiculous. First of all, that has nothing to do with the thread, and secondly, that casting reflects modern Britain, not medieval Britain.

f you want to push that agenda, do it elsewhere. This is your warning,.

Reactions: GogLais and Druid

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Oh, this is the new Robin Hood movie. When i saw the poster i thought that Jamie Fox' character is a Berber, a Muslim from the Holy land, a friend of Robin that traveled with him across the continent to the Locksley Castle, similar to the story line of The Prince of Thieves 1991 movie, but when i checked.. Little John?! This should be interesting. EDIT: Got it. This is basically the movie with Morgan Freeman and Kevin Costner from nearly 30 years ago reincarnated.

Last edited: