How long did it take people in Anatolia to convert to Islam?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How long did it take people in Anatolia to convert to Islam after various parts of Anatolia were conquered by various Muslim forces--especially the Seljuk Turks and the Ottoman Turks?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
The classic work on the subject is Vryonis, although the short answer is up to the population exchanges of the twentieth century.

Reactions: Futurist

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Slightly related - Jacinto Bosch Vila, who wrote a fairly definitive (and mostly correct) history of the Almoravids, asserted that North Africa was only 'islamic' in main population centres and in theory in the country, after the arab empire invasions of the 7th and 8th centuries. Many berber tribes were not actually adherents properly until the imposition of islam by the Almoravids and subsequently the Almohads 11th/12th centuries.

Which stands to reason if you think about the rapid spread of the 'arab empire' in the 7th century. We know they sent 'holy men' to preach to the countryside - but hey, rather them than me!

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
There were regional differences, but based on Ottoman tax records by the late 15 and early 16th century Anatolia was already overwhelmingly muslim. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3596037
first table showing the population based on the tax registers between 1520-1535
Nombre de feux: number of households, Musulmans: muslims, Chrétiens: christians, Juifs: jews, Totaux des feux: total households... and then on the last column there is an estimation of the population itself, Barkan counted with 1 household=5 persons

barkan population.png

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The classic work on the subject is Vryonis, although the short answer is up to the population exchanges of the twentieth century.
Do you know of any specific religious data for Anatolia throughout history other than the data that Tulun presented here?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Do you know of any specific religious data for Anatolia throughout history other than the data that Tulun presented here?
I don't, although I do not study the period so I do not know what sort of source material is out there.