How long was the Pharaonic religion practiced and what year did it finally end? I imagine the last worshiper was in Nubia since...

How long was the Pharaonic religion practiced and what year did it finally end? I imagine the last worshiper was in Nubia since they was not defeated by the Greeks & Romans.

Christianity was in Egypt while Nubians practiced the old religion, correct?

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I don't have an answer for you, but Nubia had a strong Greek Christian tradition starting at least in the mid-fifth century. They were still going strong seven centuries later, performing the liturgy in correct(!) Greek.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
I believe that the Ptolemies substituted themselves as heirs to Alexander, who had his own Egyptian cult. Once Octavian had eliminated Cleopatra, there were no successive claimants to the title.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
When posting a thread, try not to ask the whole question in the title. The title is a short summary, you can put your detail into the body of the post.

Sep 2019
Czech Republic, Ostrava
When posting a thread, try not to ask the whole question in the title. The title is a short summary, you can put your detail into the body of the post.
May I ask why is that important? Is it to make the whole forum feel clearer, or is there a more sinister reason behind it?

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Nothing sinister, just a Mod trying to help a new member more effectively introduce their topic. Effective threads tend to be short, introduce the basic topic, and invite other members to take a closer look. The topic is then better defined in the original post. Rhetorical questions, of threads that are clearly provocative, or pushing the boundaries for Historum will are slightly more likely to attract our interest. That can be a good thing, or ... not. Be civil and respectful of others, remember that your audience extends far beyond those who rush into print.

Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
The religion itself was formally practiced for about 3000 years. There was a point when pagan temples were closed but, rather than experiencing an abrupt halt, the Ancient Egyptian religion slowly devolved as Christianity became dominant. It's not like it was ubiquitous across society one day and then completely lost the next. I would suggest its practical decline mirrored the gradual loss of the lexical and semantic comprehension of its liturgical form of expression, Egyptian hieroglyphs, the last coherent example of which was inscribed at the Temple of Philae in 394 A.D. Soon after, hieroglyphs and the once-dominant religion they represented weren't much more than an ancient curiosity and hardly understood by anyone until early "egyptologists" of the modern era learned how to decipher the language. Although, the Egyptian language itself survived and evolved as Coptic...but, historically, this stage of the language was (and still is) more associated with Christianity.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
How long was the Pharaonic religion practiced and what year did it finally end? I imagine the last worshiper was in Nubia since they was not defeated by the Greeks & Romans.

Christianity was in Egypt while Nubians practiced the old religion, correct?
Well, it seems the rulers of Nubian Meroe from about 200 BC started heavily promoting their own language over ancient Egyptian, with its own Meroitic writing system, so not that much Egyptian hieroglyphic writing there after all. There also seems to be a bit of a gap in the records regarding exactly what religious practices were in Nubia, in Meroe, between the 4th c. AD, when Meroe fell, and the recorded advent of Christianity in the 6th. But the Axumites defeated Meroe, and since Aksum was at least nominally Christian already, I supposed Christianity might have been introduced already back then?

Philae in 394 AD seems the recorded last instance of an Egyptian act of faith according to the oldtime religion.

Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
  • Maki

Maki

Philae in 394 AD seems the recorded last instance of an Egyptian act of faith according to the oldtime religion.
The last recorded instance of old Egyptian religion is dated to 567 AD when Dioscorus of Aphrodito wrote to the governor of Thebaid complaining about a man that was "consecrating shrines with demons and wooden statues".