How long would the European colonization of the Philippines have to be delayed in order for the Philippines to become Muslim-majority?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How long would the European colonization of the Philippines have to be delayed in order for the Philippines to become Muslim-majority?

Also, a separate question--how much earlier would the Europeans have needed to colonize Indonesia, Brunei, and Malaysia in order to prevent them from becoming Muslim-majority?

Aug 2019
United States
I believe southern Phillipines is Muslim majority but I've heard they belong to a different ethnic group from most Filipinos.

Reactions: Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal

Also, a separate question--how much earlier would the Europeans have needed to colonize Indonesia, Brunei, and Malaysia in order to prevent them from becoming Muslim-majority?
Even if we don’t have hard data, the Philippines was much more Islamized before the arrival of the Castilian in the 16th century than today. The catholic missionaries converted both animists and Muslims.

When the Portuguese arrived to what is today Indonesia and Malaysia they converted people to the Catholicism. Even today there are islands in Indonesia that hat a quite relevant catholic population (in Maluku: Ambom, Ternate…) or even in Malaysia (Malacca)

The following power, the Dutch, weren’t that interested in evangelization, and there were clashes between Catholics and Protestants, so the grow of the Christianism stopped or went slowly.

Let us recall that the only two countries with a Cristian majority in Asia are the Philippines and Timor. The first was a Spanish colony, the second a Portuguese one.

I believe southern Phillipines is Muslim majority but I've heard they belong to a different ethnic group from most Filipinos.
The Filipinos have more than one hundred ethnolinguistic groups. Even the Moros (the Muslim Filipinos) that exist in the south and represent some 5% of the population have several ethnolinguistic groups.

Aug 2019
Netherlands

That is hard to say in case of the philippines. The islamisation was already well on it's way, but there was fierce resistance of the hindu kingdoms. When the spanish arrived they encountered a very fragmented and shattered religious and political landscape, kingdoms were in constant wars with each other with a devastating effect on the population. Region manila was already lightly islamised while the visayas were still strong hindu bolwarks. That is a reason why it was relative easy for the spanish to conquer this divided region.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Region manila was already lightly islamised while the visayas were still strong hindu bolwarks.
The Visayas where Hindus by the Spanish arrival? I had the idea that they were pagans or already Islamized, even if in the past they had strong connections with the Hindu kingdoms in the Insulindia.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
The Visayas where Hindus by the Spanish arrival? I had the idea that they were pagans or already Islamized, even if in the past they had strong connections with the Hindu kingdoms in the Insulindia.
Well, most of the philippine islands were culturally and religiously indianised and divided in rajahnates before being conquered and turned into sultanates. This was the case of the rahjanates of brunei, maynila, sulu etc. The rajhanates of cebu and madja-as were not conquered when the spanish arrived and they covered a big part of the visayas. Neither the kingdom of igorot in northern luzon was conquered and some other kingdoms neither. Of course those rajahnates were not on the same level as bali or java for example.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
You are right.. Visayas were pagans.. not Hindu.

According with this report from Geographical Society of Madrid (March 1886) when Magallanes arrived to Philipines... mahometans were in the islands save in inner Mindanao, Palawan Luzón and Visasyas.. where Pagans were the dominat group... but question is.... maybe did Spaniards confuse Hindus and Pagans? I dont´think so... for sure Magallanes knew the difference!

Reactions: Tulius and Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You are right.. Visayas were pagans.. not Hindu.

According with this report from Geographical Society of Madrid (March 1886) when Magallanes arrived to Philipines... mahometans were in the islands save in inner Mindanao, Palawan Luzón and Visasyas.. where Pagans were the dominat group... but question is.... maybe did Spaniards confuse Hindus and Pagans? I dont´think so... for sure Magallanes knew the difference!
Thanks for the link.

I really don’t recall to see mentions, even indirect, to the Hindus on the Spanish sources. A confusion would be possible at the beginning, but as you say Magalhães would know the difference, as all the Portuguese with him that had already travelled to the Indies.

That is why I got curious and requested some references to Deano.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Even if we don’t have hard data, the Philippines was much more Islamized before the arrival of the Castilian in the 16th century than today. The catholic missionaries converted both animists and Muslims.

When the Portuguese arrived to what is today Indonesia and Malaysia they converted people to the Catholicism. Even today there are islands in Indonesia that hat a quite relevant catholic population (in Maluku: Ambom, Ternate…) or even in Malaysia (Malacca)

The following power, the Dutch, weren’t that interested in evangelization, and there were clashes between Catholics and Protestants, so the grow of the Christianism stopped or went slowly.

Let us recall that the only two countries with a Cristian majority in Asia are the Philippines and Timor. The first was a Spanish colony, the second a Portuguese one.

The Filipinos have more than one hundred ethnolinguistic groups. Even the Moros (the Muslim Filipinos) that exist in the south and represent some 5% of the population have several ethnolinguistic groups.
Why were the Dutch less interested in evangelization?

Also, had the Spanish and/or Portuguese controlled Malaysia and Indonesia, just how much more Christian do you think that these countries would have been today?