How many Americans died of starvation in the Great Depression?

Jun 2019
Taiga
I am interested in the official data that is taught in American colleges where you get a historical education.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
That question won't get you a complete answer. You also have to include deaths from nutritional deficiencies such as pellagra, scurvy, and beriberi.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Very few actually starved to death, but there was an increase in deaths due to malnutrition. Malnutrition can make you more susceptible to disease. There wasn't massive deaths due to famine as occurred in India and China. There was Soviet propaganda to the effect that millions starved, but that isn't true at all. I can't find statistics on this though.

Jun 2019
Taiga
very strange...
I have never heard in Soviet propaganda about the number of deaths from starvation in America during the Great Depression ...
--------
I heard phrases from Americans on American forums "
1. 5 to 7 million people died.
2. "American rabbit" is a fried rat that was sold to hungry Americans.
=======
Have you ever heard of this?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
very strange...
I have never heard in Soviet propaganda about the number of deaths from starvation in America during the Great Depression ...
--------
I heard phrases from Americans on American forums "
1. 5 to 7 million people died.
2. "American rabbit" is a fried rat that was sold to hungry Americans.
=======
Have you ever heard of this?
Didn't hear of any of it. Certainly didn't hear of millions dying.

The US has been relatively prosperous compared to the rest of the world, and has always been a big exporter of food. Never heard of mass starvation.

Which forums? What is your source?

Last edited:

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I suspect the statistics are hard to find because they are almost non-existent. Starvation was not a major issue during the Depression. As a last resort people who could not afford to buy food could eat at publicly or chraritably funded soup kitchens. Mass starvation usually only occurs where there is a complete absence of food. American farms have always grown more food than the US needs. The US has been a food exporter since colonial times. We've never had a shortage of food.
The last posting on this webpage gives an authoritative answer that cites sources. Unfortunately, the links are all dead.
How many people in the US starved to death during the Great Depression?
Among the facts cited:
Suicide was the only cause of death that increased during the Depression
Malnutrition increased but not to the point of death. People were less healthy due to poor diet but didn't die of it
The 1930s saw a continuation of the trend in the 1920s of lower mortality and longer life expectancy

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The tale of 5 to 7 Americans dying of starvation during the depression is not Soviet propaganda, but revisionist history being spread an amateur historian called Boris Borisov (and taken up by RT in the past, and some far right internet sites):

American Holodomor

I looked into this briefly when it was raised on a previous occasion, and it was immediately clear that he was basing his claims on a misunderstanding (or misuse) of population statistics.

Jun 2019
Taiga
The tale of 5 to 7 Americans dying of starvation during the depression is not Soviet propaganda, but revisionist history being spread an amateur historian called Boris Borisov (and taken up by RT in the past, and some far right internet sites):

American Holodomor

I looked into this briefly when it was raised on a previous occasion, and it was immediately clear that he was basing his claims on a misunderstanding (or misuse) of population statistics.
Soviet propaganda and RT?
Do they live together?
:lol:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Click the link that I have just posted, it's all there, and then you can amuse yourself by working out why his argument doesn't hold water. His argument is that the holomodor in Ukraine was a purely natural disaster, and that something very similar happened in the USA at much the same period.