How many Americans died of starvation in the Great Depression?

Mar 2019
Kansas
Wabbit i s very very good. We were even served it in the mess hall when i was stationed at Fort lost in the woods (Fort Leonard Wood) quite regularly & a lot of the city slickers wouldn't eat it so we got theirs too.
Did they say why they would not eat it? It is not that exotic an animal.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Did they say why they would not eat it? It is not that exotic an animal.
Just something they weren't used too. Maybe they felt guilty eating Bugs Bunny or the Easter wabbit, like some people won't eat Bambi, one time in Puerto Rico I unknowingly ate some dolphin, it was quite good, but I felt like I had ate Flipper. I wouldn't knowingly kill or eat marine mammals, elephant or one of the great apes as I consider them intelligent creatures. I also wouldn't kill or eat dog or horse because I've had so many friends of both species. I used to bear hunt a lot in my younger days, but with old age has come sympathy for another intelligent animal, besides bear meat sucks. Wapiti (Elk) is good. Though i think Elk doesn't mean the same thing too Europeans as it does too Americans.

Last edited:

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
I’ve only had rabbit a couple of times. It was pretty good, at least the way my mother made it.
Amongst earth's meat eating animals including man it's almost universally highly desired. The cry of an injured rabbit is used as a predator call. They all come running looking for some Wabbit.

May 2015
Schertz ,Tx
I've never heard of anyone dying of starvation during the Great Depression in America.Both my mother and father lived through it, and neither one ever mentioned hearing about neighbors dying from this cause. My mom grew up in Springville,NY near Buffalo, and there are a lot of farms there. My dad lived in Milwaukee.Neither family ever went hungry, and while there may have been people who went to soup kitchens, especially in the big cities, my dad's family and their neighbors didn't. There were people who ate rabbits, squirrels, possums, and yes, even armadillos which were sometimes called Hoover Hogs. Tourist traps at the time would sell stuffed armadillos, or armadillo shell baskets. My dad would sometimes purchase Pel Freeze Rabbit, you can buy it in the stores. Rabbit's good.THey have on the box a recipe for Honey curry Rabbit. Great flavour.We even tried the sauce with chicken breasts and that was good too.

Jun 2017
maine
My grandfather was notorious for his bad investment schemes (he once bought a plot of land in NJ that sank) but one of them paid off: he had purchased part ownership of a pawn shop in Brookllyn. When the Depression hit, he started receiving dividends--and was able to feed his family.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
QUOTE="MG1962a, post: 3150162, member: 56987"]Out here on the plains was the dust. A lot of people died before their time due to respiratory issues, or full on killed in a dust storm.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. The grapes of wrath had turned into raisins. I wonder if anyone has ever looked into hospitals and death records in the dust bowl and causes to estimate how many people died earlier than they otherwise might have.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
I found this article or summary: Digital History
In New York City 20 people died of starvation in 1931, 110 deaths in 1934, Article also talks about other interesting figures and of the societal effects of the Great Depression in the US.
For what's worth the Soviet leadership absolutely exacerbated the famine in the Ukraine. See Anne Applebaum Red Famine for more. They confiscated any source of food from people, they didn't let them leave their specific areas to even forage for more food, when reports came in the authorities did not change their stance at all regarding quotas of grain even facing widespread famine, in my opinion that is on purpose.

Similar History Discussions