How many Americans died of starvation in the Great Depression?

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
very strange...
I have never heard in Soviet propaganda about the number of deaths from starvation in America during the Great Depression ...
--------
I heard phrases from Americans on American forums "
1. 5 to 7 million people died.
2. "American rabbit" is a fried rat that was sold to hungry Americans.
=======
Have you ever heard of this?
I include the deaths from the "dust bowl which are estimated to be in the thousands
Dust Bowl Facts.

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
My great grandparents and some of their cousins ate 'fried rabbit.' How many died? From starvation, malnutrition, bad diets that caused mortal diseases, etc?

Nobody knows. Whatever the number it was, far more would have died if it had not been for federal and state and local relief programs.

Oh, no one will hear a Russian make a comparison with American starvation rates: the Russians would look terrible in comparison.

Reactions: royal744
Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
I suspect the statistics are hard to find because they are almost non-existent. Starvation was not a major issue during the Depression. As a last resort people who could not afford to buy food could eat at publicly or chraritably funded soup kitchens.
Hypothermia/Death by exposure was more of an issue than starvation.

Reactions: JakeStarkey

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The Great Depression was certainly a major calamity for the US economy, but it was not the first such economic catastrophe. It may well have been the last such catastrophe on such a scale, however. Because of FDR’s massive intervention to save the economy (he tried “everything”, throwing whatever was available against the wall to see if it would “stick”). Some efforts worked, others did not, and others were struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional.

The availability of food or agricultural crops, meat and milk, was never an issue. If anything, there was too much agricultural production which is what caused farmers to destroy agricultural production in a desperate attempt to prop up agricultural prices.It didn’t work very well. The Great Depression marked the end of truly laissez faire economics in this country where the government played virtually no role in the management of the economy. Hoover’s economic approach (do almost nothing until it was too late) was the hinge between one era and Roosevelt’s “alphabet soup” of new government agencies to cope with the emergency.

Whatever, it helped save the country at a time when it desperately needed saving.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
no official data just internet
They said 7 mln
Too bad (not really) it never happened. The Great Depression was a terrible and difficult time in America; there’s no denying that, but mass starvation? No, that didn’t happen. No doubt there were quite a few Americans who went to bed hungry at night, parents who missed meals to feed their children, or those who were obliged to use public food kitchens and what meager welfare that was available. But 5,000,000 to 7,000,000 deaths? No way.

The author of this “study”quite possibly did not use generally accepted principles of scholarship when he authored this screed.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
In the US southwest, (AZ,So CA) it was beans and tortillas or sometimes tortillas and beans or beans and bread
I’m sure that was true in Texas as well.
As far as public works goes, not all of those projects were misguided or poorly thought out. A couple of big dams come to mind, as does massive reforestation of part of the Dustbowl, and increased Federal building expansion and so on. The San Antonio River Walk (original channel) was constructed during the Depression and completed its phase I in 1941 just before WW2.

Feb 2016
ROK
When I was a teenager, my Canadian teacher told me that his parents had a farm. During the Great Depression, many homeless people were moving around to find jobs. Some of them stopped by at my teacher's home. His mother cooked and gave them food.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
very strange...
I have never heard in Soviet propaganda about the number of deaths from starvation in America during the Great Depression ...
--------
I heard phrases from Americans on American forums "
1. 5 to 7 million people died.
2. "American rabbit" is a fried rat that was sold to hungry Americans.
=======
Have you ever heard of this?
This is laughable nonsense purveyed by those who want to accuse others of what they were themselves doing in their own country. Sorry bub, no pub.