How many Americans died of starvation in the Great Depression?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
The Yugo isn't Soviet though....

Also, you don't have to be ''old enough'' to recall it, in Serbia I still see a non-stationary Yugo on the street more often than I would like.
I know the Yugo wasn't Soviet. I didn't mean to disparage Yugoslavia. Where I live there are multiple families of Serbian descent. The man who put in my well, both his parents were born in the Serbian portion of Yugoslavia. He has since passed, but I never knew a man with more strength. His forearms were the size of my thighs. He was one tough guy, even in his old age.

Reactions: Mastersonmcvoidson

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
So rabbits weren't hunted until the advent of the firearm?!!

Sorry knew plenty of rabbiting down without a gun-- a good Jack Russell is as valueable.
I'm sure they were. There was series of jokes leading to my comment. But, in all seriousness, trapping a rabbit is an art, one that modern humans probably lack although as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of invention." Of course there is always the Elmer Fudd-Bugs Bunny cartoons for a quick learn.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I'm sure they were. There was series of jokes leading to my comment. But, in all seriousness, trapping a rabbit is an art, one that modern humans probably lack although as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of invention." Of course there is always the Elmer Fudd-Bugs Bunny cartoons for a quick learn.
Fair enough but I have known many country lads who would rabbit without a gun.

Reactions: Rodger

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
no official data just internet
They said 7 mln
Too bad it’s not true. I have never heard of starvation during the Great Depression. In spite of the Great Depression, the US was still producing large agricultural surpluses. The problem was, agricultural prices had fallen so low that farmers actually destroyed crops and dumped milk in an effort to raise agricultural prices.

Reactions: Rodger

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Straight to the source. Boris Borisov was already mentioned. More than a decade ago in his article titled 'Golodomor ad usum externum' he estimated the victims of USA financial crisis at over 7 million people and also directly compared the USA events of 1932-1933 with Holodomor.

American Holodomor by Boris Borisov

Interview with Boris Borisov

Just another worthless Russian troll trying to make “their history” more acceptable by tearing down others. I’m laughing here. This guy is a fool.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Out here on the plains was the dust. A lot of people died before their time due to respiratory issues, or full on killed in a dust storm.
I use no rose colored glasses when I look at my own people, but I must say that the people who struggled their way through the Great Depression had to be some of the most remarkable people on the planet. They didn’t just survive; they prevailed.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I use no rose colored glasses when I look at my own people, but I must say that the people who struggled their way through the Great Depression had to be some of the most remarkable people on the planet. They didn’t just survive; they prevailed.
Thats the truth. I doubt I would have tried to stick those conditions out. They were so proud many of them refused government payouts, cause they were not mooches.

And how the decision to fix the dust bowl came to be was something right out of Mr Smith goes to Washington. lol

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
@ Futurist: where have you been today? I have missed your posts.
I did make some posts today. :) If I don't comment on a thread, it's typically because I have nothing (new) to say about the relevant topic.