How Many History Buffs with Historical Homes?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
In past colors of these houses were stronger in my opinion.
It must have been really beautiful to see ... I've heard that different areas had different colored grout (depending on the local quarries and stone), so even a house that just had grout on the exterior could be a range of colors even before the decorative paint went on. The local grout here was a peach/pink tone - though everyone paints it white now if they haven't covered it with modern grout.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
This is the stable that once belonged to the house of William Welsh Harrison - it was originally part of Rosedale Hall, which later burned to the ground. In the early 1890's, Harrison added to the stables, making this massive building, and built a new home (Grey Towers). It is now one of the fine arts / graphic design buildings at the university I attended.

Supposedly it is haunted by a ghost horse called Red Boy; and it has quite a few tunnels running from it to the other buildings on the property. I can confirm that one of the tunnels is there, but was told that I could be expelled if I went down there again or looked for the others... so that ended the tunnel search. I tried getting to the top of the the clock tower, but the wood underfoot was pretty rotten! Also the amount of dead birds up there was a bit of a health hazard. They renovated the building a couple years ago... I'm not sure if the bird mausoleum is still there... when I go there now, it's usually to teach, so I can't set a completely terrible example. I still want to find those other tunnels, though! :angry:

murphy hall.jpg murphy hall 3.jpg murphy hall 2.JPG

The tunnel I found starts below this corner turret and leads to Spruance Hall (which was a maintenance building for the house)...

murphy hall 4.JPG

Similar History Discussions