How many Slavs (especially Poles) emigrated from territories that became Germanized as a result of the Ostsiedlung?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
The process of assimilation did take hold in the areas that are now eastern Germany, with exception of the Sorbs. In western Pomerania, the Slavs were mostly assimilated, even to the pint of accepting Lutheranism. In western Pomerania, i.e., Kashibia, th Slavs resisted assimilation for the most part. Many did learn to speak german and accept sme Germanized ways, but they resisted giving up their heritage. In lower Silesia, the countryside remained largely Slavic, while Breslau became Germanized. Then again, that was the story in many Slavic lands where Germanic people/Germans settled.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Lexell, your Slovene chauvinism is offensive to our community values which stress open-mindedness and willingness to accept other points of view. We are ... all of us ... chauvinistic to some extent, but social discourse and harmony can only exist when we cease to regard ourselves as the Center of the Universe ... Metaphorically speaking. Regardless of where one was born, the culture we were born into, we are a single species with only minor and insignificant differences. What seems to be a wide range of physio-types is merely Natures way of fitting us to our environments is nothing compared to what we share. Cultural differences are greatest among the ignorant, those with so little that they cling to outmoded notions of Superiority over the "Other". Historum is a place for those who want to increase their knowledge and understanding of who we, humans, are. The Internet has made it possible for global communication, and so we have Slovens, Poles, Chinese, Indian, Brits and Franks, Italians and Congolese gathering here to exchange views. Our members range from post-Doc Historians who have spent lives learning about their topic, and we have members who normally only read the sports pages. We have unfortunately a number of True Believers who want the whole species to adopt one form of religion or politics or another, and those we try to weed out as appropriate. So ... accept that you are a very small minority here among folks who have little patience for the close minded.

Dec 2017
-------
Lexell, your Slovene chauvinism is offensive to our community values which stress open-mindedness and willingness to accept other points of view. .
In short, I'd like to be a Slovene chuavinist.
In more details, Russia, Ukraine, Poland account for 80% of Slavdom. Slovenia and my home-country , Belarus, are little. Here, in Belarus we are curious about Slovenes. I hope Slovenes know about us too.
But calling me, a northern Belarusian, a Slovene chuavinist? Call me that again.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
You are missing the point. Be less judgmental of others merely on the basis that they are in some mysterious way different and less than you and your group. Is that clear? Continue to offend, and you'll be shown the door. Is that clear?