How much christianity influenced Edda?

Oct 2016
Finland
As titled: how much christianity (or antique) influenced on Edda and norse mythology generally?
I found next shortened texts are from book Finnish folklore research (1954). Information is old, but nevertheless fascinating, because I haven't found proper info about these things, exept what everybody knows: Snorri was a christian, who wrote Edda in 1300s, and changes to original stories are unknown. If anyone have any literacy sources, I would want to know (and see, because it may be hard to find those books or text in Finland).

Danish researcher wrote in Om Nordboernes Hudedytkelse og Gudetro i Hedenhold 1876, that all what is known about norse mythology from descriptions, archaelogical finds, place names etc, differs vitally compared to Edda's mythology. This leads to conclusion: old pagan religion was in viking age have origins in christianity, and antique's imaginary-topics are used richly to make whole new epic drama, where Odin have became highest god while superseding Thor.

Norwegian filologist Sophus Bugge wrote Studier over de nordiske Gude- og Hellesangs Oprindelse 1881-1889 and Helgedigtede i den aeldre Edda 1896, where he demonstraded on linquistic basis, that none of poems in Edda cannot be older than 9th century. Poems cannot be reconstructed to older language forms, because poem rule would be ruined. Another thing explains, that poems are no older than viking age: there are lots of loan words from latin, aglosaxon and iiri. Poems' topics are mainly loans, in which we can see in jewish-christian and roman-greece sources. Edda doesn't show skandinavian paganism, but is based mainly on christian tradition, and via christian culture from antique materia, which is pretty young. For example norwegian A. Chr. Bang, icelandic G. Vigfusson, german E. H. Meyer agree with Bugge.

Nov 2015
Australia
that none of poems in Edda cannot be older than 9th century.
Sorry, double negative.

Well Snorri's Edda is the younger or prose Edda. We have beside it he Elder or poetic Edda. So we have two versions which conflict in places. But mainly prove the general thesis that the Edda wasn't purely the creation of of a christian leaning scholar.

The stories must be as least as old as the gosforth crosses, which date to the first half of the 10th century. Which show images from well known Edda stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosforth_Cross

The poetic Edda, seems to a compilation of stories as the poets masterwork. Nothing wrong with the 9th century being the era of the compilation. I suspect it was created so the Scandinavians, at loggerheads with the christian world. Should know their own tradition better and spend time pondering it. The Christians could quote their own tradition and were well skilled in debate. The pagans realized they up against something pretty awesome. And they better come up with the counter program. Merely telling the christian that "there was this guy called Thor you know". Ain't going to cut it!
The Bible too is a compilation of stories from a creation myth to a war of the worlds in the Apocalypse. This might have been the influence, that the poet wanted a competing compilation for the pagans. But he would have had plenty of original source material to draw on.
And it's working too. Between the Edda as pagan bible and death metal, the pagans are making a come back.

Edda doesn't show skandinavian paganism, but is based mainly on christian tradition, and via christian culture from antique materia, which is pretty young.
You are kidding aren't you? Beyond Odin hanging on a tree transfixed by a spear, there's little similarity that I can note. Indeed is there any similarity between Christianity and the Greeco-Roman tradition? Could you elaborate on other themes?

Oct 2016
Finland
You are kidding aren't you? Beyond Odin hanging on a tree transfixed by a spear, there's little similarity that I can note. Indeed is there any similarity between Christianity and the Greeco-Roman tradition? Could you elaborate on other themes?
I agree, that this information about prose Edda being totally christian/antique origin was new to me, and I'm skeptical about it, because I haven't found yet evidence from it in modern researchs or books.

Nov 2015
Australia
I agree, that this information about prose Edda being totally christian/antique origin was new to me, and I'm skeptical about it, because I haven't found yet evidence from it in modern researchs or books.
So you proposed a topic which you are skeptical about? I would say that Christianity and Norse Mythology have little in common, other than Odin's riding of tree, transfixed by a spear.
After that all we got as common themes, are plants, trees, men, women and moderately sized furry animals.
By the way, the Nokia phones ring tones, are the greatest horror of my life. As Kurtz said in "Heart of darkness", "The horror, the horror"!
Your title would be better expressed as "How much did Christianity influence the Edda"? Not that I blame you, language is difficult and complex!
These scholars were from the 19th century. Well they had many strange ideas back then. Some of them, very entertaining!
Omg, " The continent of Mu" by James Churchwood. What a tome that was and how rich with dank spirit and entertaining.
The 19th century spirit, was truly a show on wheels!

Oct 2016
Finland
At first I was skeptical, but I presumed that I could've been wrong, because my knowledge is limited and I'm learning new things every day. That's why I decided ask here if anyone wiser would tell me more, updated information about his thing.
-------
In Finland there are still wild imagination among "amateur researchers". Thor was originally ancient finnish king, who was promoted to god-like after his death, etc.

Nov 2015
Australia
At first I was skeptical, but I presumed that I could've been wrong, because my knowledge is limited and I'm learning new things every day. That's why I decided ask here if anyone wiser would tell me more, updated information about his thing.
-------
In Finland there are still wild imagination among "amateur researchers". Thor was originally ancient finnish king, who was promoted to god-like after his death, etc.
Well there'd be wiser ones on this subject than me.

I see, the one and only Thor. The one true Thor?

Snorri's claim at first was Odin was a warrior chieftain that invaded geographical Sweden from the continent. And set himself up as ruler in Uppsala. Later he became the object of a cult and worshiped as a divinity.

Sounds plausible?

Snorri also stated that Odin was from a line of princes that originated in Troy! Note the Romans also claimed this. It seems to be anybody these days, you have to have a Trojan ancestor!

Quick, Finland is falling behind the Swede's. Finland too must have a Trojan ancestor. I'm sure evidence can be found!

Actually the Trojan connection is not that far fetched. Odin's army most likely used bronze weapons to rapidly over run the stone age natives. The copper in recovered weapons mostly seems to have originated in Cyprus. Hence the trade route most likely passed Troy, up the Danube and then down the Rhine. Maybe some Trojans set up shop on the lower Rhine?
Some parts of Snorri's story have Thor as the father of Odin. And then in another place Odin is the father of Thor. It seems gods can do this? {sarcasm}
But these were perhaps royal lines with popular family names. There were perhaps quite a few Odin's and Thor's having the odd adventure. Eventually the stories of all the different Odin's were melded into one. Plenty to go around, the Finns too can have a Thor if they want one!