How much immigration would Austria-Hungary have gotten had it been more welcoming and had it survived?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
So, A-H really needs to reorient, doesn't it?
The only thing Austrian citizens had in common was government by the Hapsburgs. By the end of the 19th century, this wasn't enough to hold countries together.
Austria-Hungary's only chance of survival would have been to try to develop a sense of civic nationalism. A smart ruler might have even been able to tie this new nationalism to the monarchy, i.e. Austrians of all races can only live in peace together because the Hapsburgs govern instead of rabble rousing nationalists. However, even a talented politician would have struggled to manage this transition. The Hapsburgs never had a chance.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I cannot say for the general population, but Austria-Hungary was instrumental in the development of the Bosnian(k) identity.
However, there were Muslim revolts against A-H, most notably the 1882 Herzegovina Uprising in which Muslims collaborated with local Serbs. Though, this was before Austria-Hungary introduced its Bošnjaštvo (Bosniakhood) policy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
However, there were Muslim revolts against A-H, most notably the 1882 Herzegovina Uprising in which Muslims collaborated with local Serbs. Though, this was before Austria-Hungary introduced its Bošnjaštvo (Bosniakhood) policy.
Why'd the Muslims cooperate with the local Serbs in that rebellion?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Why'd the Muslims cooperate with the local Serbs in that rebellion?
Common enemy. Neither the Muslims nor the Serbs looked at the A-H occupation as a positive thing. The Muslims of course because they preferred to be ruled by the Muslim Ottoman Empire and the Serbs because they wanted to be united with Serbia.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Did A-H's population accept Bosnia's Muslims? Also, Yes, we're talking about immigration back when A-H still existed. That said, though, I do want A-H to survive as long as realistically possible in this scenario.

Bohemia's workers had very poor working conditions and living conditions?

With poor working conditions and living conditions for the workers there?

Can't the rest become more industrialized later on, though?
Unless they travelled to Bosnia themselves, they most probably would never have encountered those muslims, except for soldiers in k.u.k. Bosniak regiments – a few battalions were stationed across the monarchy, as was the usual practice. This way they prevented uprisings. Most Bosniaks wouldn't have travelled across the Empire and most of the people wouldn't travel to Bosnia although some did go to work there in wood cutting and processing, were soldiers in units stationed there or did missionary work. Hard to speak about acceptance in such a case. There was freedom of religion.

I'd say most workers back then had relatively bad conditions. Not sure how labour intensive textile production was then, but think of miners or steel workers. Most of it was heavy industry back then, but with less worries about safety and health, using less protective gear and using more dangerous procedures and materials (just think of lead) than today. I bet the pay wasn't good either.

I don't know much about Austrian industry at the time, but it was mostly the same everywhere anyway. In the Slovene Lands it was predominantly heavy industry, mostly mining, steelworks and related to metal, some shoe and leather working, various mills and such. Workers generally didn't have much money, not just in A-H but everywhere. So they could afford only cheap housing, which was often too small for families with a few children. It wasn't uncommon that everyone slept in one or two rooms that would be used for something else during the day. Look at the miners' housing in Britain. Here it was even worse, they had no backyard ... :p

Industrialisation would probably be slow. Consider how except for Austria and Bohemia, the rest was "forcebly" industrialised by the communists after ww2, whether it made sense or not. With a prolonged A-H it would certainly be different, often more logical. How fast it would go though, can't say.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Nitpicking: on the contrary.
The Magyar percentage in Hungary increased in the pre-WWI decades.

Common enemy. Neither the Muslims nor the Serbs looked at the A-H occupation as a positive thing. The Muslims of course because they preferred to be ruled by the Muslim Ottoman Empire and the Serbs because they wanted to be united with Serbia.
Did the Muslims later change their minds?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I've got a question for everyone here--was Russia the only European country that had large amounts of unused but perfectly usable land in the late 19th and early 20th centuries? Or did some other European countries meet this description as well--and if so, which countries?