How much immigration would Austria-Hungary have gotten had it been more welcoming and had it survived?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
If you want to find European countries with "spare" land just look at a population density map and compare it to a terrain map. Generally eastern Europe has much lower population density than western Europe, while still having usable land. If you want specific countries with relatively low population density in comparison to the usefulness of their land, I would say Poland, Hungary and the Ukraine would probably be at the top.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If you want to find European countries with "spare" land just look at a population density map and compare it to a terrain map. Generally eastern Europe has much lower population density than western Europe, while still having usable land. If you want specific countries with relatively low population density in comparison to the usefulness of their land, I would say Poland, Hungary and the Ukraine would probably be at the top.
That makes sense and that's actually pretty good advice. Of course, not all flat land is actually guaranteed to be suitable for sustaining a large population.

This isn't in any particular order; Brazil, Canada and Russia.
How come Russia didn't get a lot of immigrants, then? I mean, it got some German immigrants between the 1760s and 1870s and also a dozen thousand or so Czech immigrants and some Korean and Chinese immigrants, but not much else, I think.