How much immigration would Austria-Hungary have gotten had it been more welcoming and had it survived?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
That makes sense and that's actually pretty good advice. Of course, not all flat land is actually guaranteed to be suitable for sustaining a large population.

How come Russia didn't get a lot of immigrants, then? I mean, it got some German immigrants between the 1760s and 1870s and also a dozen thousand or so Czech immigrants and some Korean and Chinese immigrants, but not much else, I think.
Nobody wants to move to an oppressive autocracy.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It's quite interesting that the number of Germans in Russia was actually relatively large. There were almost 1.8 million German-speakers in Russia in 1897:

Russian Empire Census - Wikipedia

I wonder what made Russia so attractive to Germans but not to various other ethnic groups.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Many of the germans were aristocrats, soldiers and various highly skilled workers. Others were farmers who moved there after Catherine the great gave them tax and draft exempted status. They also had religious freedom, the ability to own their own land and virtual autonomy. There were many Mennonites as well. Generally Germans were highly prized immigrants in eastern Europe due to their high skills and good work ethic.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Many of the germans were aristocrats, soldiers and various highly skilled workers. Others were farmers who moved there after Catherine the great gave them tax and draft exempted status. They also had religious freedom, the ability to own their own land and virtual autonomy. There were many Mennonites as well. Generally Germans were highly prized immigrants in eastern Europe due to their high skills and good work ethic.
Would giving other ethnic groups free land and tax and draft exempt status have encouraged them to move to Russia in large numbers?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
With no immigration restrictions whatsoever? Also, IMHO, Alexander II should have continued the open borders policy of his predecessors instead of abolishing this policy.
Not a lot of westerners (aside from germans) applied. It was primarily designed to develop the land and the economy by attracting skilled workers. Demographic wise it wasn't a very good policy. Russia eventually realized they weren't much over half the population and needed to gain better control over the population.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Not a lot of westerners (aside from germans) applied. It was primarily designed to develop the land and the economy by attracting skilled workers.
Yes--similar to the US, I'm presuming?

Demographic wise it wasn't a very good policy. Russia eventually realized they weren't much over half the population and needed to gain better control over the population.
That's why Russia should have given independence to the Polonkadonks. It would have significantly helped with Russia's demographic issues and thus allowed it to absorb more immigrants.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Yes--similar to the US, I'm presuming?

That's why Russia should have given independence to the Polonkadonks. It would have significantly helped with Russia's demographic issues and thus allowed it to absorb more immigrants.
Who?
Generally expansionist states don't give away territory, its a sign of weakness and encourages other peoples to rebel.