How much larger would North Africa's European population be without the World Wars?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How much larger would North Africa's European population be without the World Wars?

For the record, I am especially curious about the African countries that border the Mediterranean Sea as well as about Eritrea. Indeed, it is worth noting that, if I recall correctly, Algeria, Libya, and Eritrea all had a European percentage in the double-digits (10.0+%) of the total population in these territories.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Indeed, how many additional Europeans would have moved to North Africa--including Eritrea--if both World Wars had never occurred?

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I'm not following you. Why would the world wars have any effect on this?

The major effect is surely the independence movements in the various countries.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm not following you. Why would the world wars have any effect on this?
Because the World Wars--especially World War I--resulted in the deaths of a lot of French and Italian men. If these men would have still been alive, some of them could have moved to North Africa later on.

Also, Italy's colonization projects in Libya and Eritrea were halted as a result of Italy losing these territories during World War II. Had World War II been avoided or had Italy remained neutral in World War II, Italy would have been able to continue its colonization projects in Libya and Eritrea since it would have maintained control of these territories.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Here is some data for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Libya#Settler_colonialism

"The population of Italian settlers in Libya increased rapidly after the Great Depression: in 1927, they were just about 26,000 of them, by 1931 they were 44,600, 66,525 in 1936 and eventually, in 1939, they numbered 119,139, or 13% of the total population.[2]"

I doubt that the Muslim population in Libya increased by 4.5 times between 1927 and 1939. In turn, what this means is that the Italian percentage of the total population in Libya was increasing in the years leading up to 1939 (which is when World War II started).

You see a similar story in Eritrea. In 1910, Eritrea's Italian percentage was just 0.26%, in 1935, it was 0.51%, and in 1939, it became a whopping 10.27%:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Eritreans#The_Italian_colony_of_Eritrea

If the data above is accurate, it would mean that the Italian population in Eritrea absolutely skyrocketed (specifically increased by 25 times) between 1935 and 1939. Indeed, without World War II, I don't see why this trend couldn't have continued--albeit at a slower pace.