How much of a factor was the shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 in Iran's decision

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
... to agree to end the Iran-Iraq War in 1988?

Anyway, does anyone here know exactly how much of a factor the USS Vincennes's shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 had on Iran's decision to agree to end the Iran-Iraq War in mid-1988?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Miami
... to agree to end the Iran-Iraq War in 1988?

Anyway, does anyone here know exactly how much of a factor the USS Vincennes's shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 had on Iran's decision to agree to end the Iran-Iraq War in mid-1988?

Any thoughts on this?
Why isn't this talked about in USA school's? This is aweful.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Of course, I am unsure that I was ever taught about the Iran-Iraq War in school. I might have been taught about it in my Current Events class in 9th grade, but I think that this class was voluntarily; thus, not all students at my (now former) high school had to take that class.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Of course, I am unsure that I was ever taught about the Iran-Iraq War in school. I might have been taught about it in my Current Events class in 9th grade, but I think that this class was voluntarily; thus, not all students at my (now former) high school had to take that class.
I don't think it's necessary to teach the Iran-Iraq war in US schools, but what astound me is the total absence on the part of the US media to ever talk about the shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655. Most Americans are unaware of this event, just like the Iranian 1953 coup, and that's quite disturbing. That's why some Americans seem baffled to why so many Iranians hold Anti-American views.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think it's necessary to teach the Iran-Iraq war in US schools, but what astound me is the total absence on the part of the US media to ever talk about the shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655. Most Americans are unaware of this event, just like the Iranian 1953 coup, and that's quite disturbing. That's why some Americans seem baffled to why so many Iranians hold Anti-American views.
Agreed, though, for the record, many Iranians (especially younger Iranians) are actually not hostile to the U.S.