How much of a factor was the US entry into WWI in the Western Allies' rejections of the Russian "peace without annexations or indemnities" formula?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How much of a factor was the US entry into WWI in the Western Allies' (Britain's, France's, and Italy's) rejections of the Russian Provisional Government's "peace without annexations or indemnities" formula? Does anyone here know the answer to this question?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Care to rephrase please?

Is the question whether the military situation in roughly May to July 1917 was so severe on the Western Front for France/UK that the civilian leadership was seriously considering "peace without victory"?

Italy was really a junior partner and I don't believe they are at ALL relevant to what you are asking, unless you rephrase as Western Allies (Britain's, France's, Italy's, Romania's, Serbia's, Portugal's and Australia/NZ/Canada's).

But I could be wrong in understanding what type of discussion you are kicking off, as well?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Care to rephrase please?

Is the question whether the military situation in roughly May to July 1917 was so severe on the Western Front for France/UK that the civilian leadership was seriously considering "peace without victory"?
Yes or, more specifically, whether the US entry into the war was the factor that caused them to refuse to consider this option during this time.

Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
Personally? No.

From what I have researched over my general interest in World War 1. Germany at that time was very much fighting a loosing war. You can see that in that way it behaves, structured it's army and fought. Similarly, a lot of the german military was grinding down in effectiveness mostly as a result of general unrest within the country (such as famines, lack of food, equipment, tanking economy, etc...) but also as a result of the blockade of Germany by entente-powers which caused, in my opinion, much of the aforementioned problems.

In comparison the allied armies where not nearly as a in a poor state. I doubt that they would really consider "peace without victory" from the germans. The only thing I think american participation caused in WWI was shortening the war due to a sudden influx of manpower on one side and comparatively speaking, unbalance the power on the front. However, the Americans didn't come and fight in World War 1 in any major significant capacity until 1918 really. Arguably, if the americans never came to world war 1 the peace treaty may be a bit different but it would still be an entente-victory.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
How much of a factor was the US entry into WWI in the Western Allies' (Britain's, France's, and Italy's) rejections of the Russian Provisional Government's "peace without annexations or indemnities" formula? Does anyone here know the answer to this question?
Peronally No, the French and British government were controlled by storng leaders who would accpet little other than decisive victory, and there was little prospect of eitehr leader being unseated.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Peronally No, the French and British government were controlled by storng leaders who would accpet little other than decisive victory, and there was little prospect of eitehr leader being unseated.
Would Clemenceau have still come to power in France if not for the US entry into the war, though?

Dir

Nov 2015
Kyiv
The evolution of Russian Bolshevism is amusing. Within the WWI it called for a world without annexations and contributions. And then at the end of World War II Bolshevik Russia became the only winning country that secured all its territorial annexations made during the WWII and made huge contributions to Germany. Russian annexation included Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, part of Poland, Bessarabia, Bukovina, the Kurile Islands and half of Sakhalin Island