How much power did the higher ministers have in the Middle Byzantine empire?

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
While reading byzantine histories I've noticed that there were quite a few exceptionally powerful ministers in the middle byzantine period (mostly excluding the komnenian period though), sometimes seemingly exercising powers rivaling those of the emperor himself. What I'm wondering is how much real power did these people have? Was there the equivalent of a prime minister or did different offices become more important at different times? Did the powers these ministers exercised come with the office, or were they handed out at an emperor's discretion?

Last edited:

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
While reading byzantine histories I've noticed that there were quite a few exceptionally powerful ministers in the middle byzantine period (mostly excluding the komnenian period though), sometimes seemingly exercising powers rivaling those of the emperor himself. What I'm wondering is how much real power did these people have? Was there the equivalent of a prime minister or did different offices become more important at different times? Did the powers these ministers exercised come with the office, or were they handed out at an emperor's discretion?
Depends what you think of manipulation in the court. If an Emperor delegates power willingly due to foolishness, fear, or laziness.

Ultimately power came from the Emperor but only if that Emperor was capable to use it, most functions of state were in the hands of administrators with their own agendas.

Apr 2016
there
Perhaps, a book such as from Kaldelis,could be helpful. I'm currently reading Haldon's current book, which covers up to 740. I would think,based on what I'm reading in Haldon's book, that it's a complicated answer.

Similar History Discussions