How realistic was a Greater Israel in the 60s and 70s?

Nov 2014
ph
Basically keep all the conquests of the 1967 war and settle them with Jewish settlers, forced expulsion of all non-Jewish Arabs in return for giving them a financial stipend. Basically have an almost purely Jewish mega-Israel from the Suez to the Golan that will have a very small token harmless Druze and Christian Arab population that will be granted wide ranging religious and cultural tolerance.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If Israel was willing to be very nasty, it might have been able to pull this off back then. Of course, aiming to conquer the entire West Bank in 1948-1949 might have been a better idea.

pugsville

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Basically keep all the conquests of the 1967 war and settle them with Jewish settlers, forced expulsion of all non-Jewish Arabs in return for giving them a financial stipend. Basically have an almost purely Jewish mega-Israel from the Suez to the Golan that will have a very small token harmless Druze and Christian Arab population that will be granted wide ranging religious and cultural tolerance.
Why the fincaial stipend? I mean no one is going to accept their country being liquadated for a handful of shekels. Other than some sort of very transparent fig leaf what does it really do?

Would Israelis accept the same policy applied to them?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why the fincaial stipend? I mean no one is going to accept their country being liquadated for a handful of shekels. Other than some sort of very transparent fig leaf what does it really do?

Would Israelis accept the same policy applied to them?
Yeah, if Israel wants the Palestinians out, it'll have to use force to do this. This isn't 1948-1949 when a lot of Palestinian Arabs voluntarily fled in the hopes of being able to return to their homes later on after Israel's destruction.

pugsville

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Yeah, if Israel wants the Palestinians out, it'll have to use force to do this. This isn't 1948-1949 when a lot of Palestinian Arabs voluntarily fled in the hopes of being able to return to their homes later on after Israel's destruction.
"Voluntarily" fled in fear of their lives from pogroms and black propganda by radical terorist Zionists who wanted to ethnic cleanse Palestine of Palestinains.

I do not accept it can be described as "voluntarily" as being Historically accurate.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
"Voluntarily" fled in fear of their lives from pogroms and black propganda by radical terorist Zionists who wanted to ethnic cleanse Palestine of Palestinains.

I do not accept it can be described as "voluntarily" as being Historically accurate.
Black propaganda?

Also, it's quite interesting that this alleged fear wasn't large enough to get all of the Arabs in Israel to flee. I mean, large numbers of Arabs remained in the Galilee even after the end of the Israeli War of Independence.

I've previously heard that Palestinian Arabs were sometimes encouraged to flee in order to avoid giving legitimacy to Zionist rule in their territories and that it was only after Arabs realized that the Palestinian right of return would present a significant demographic problem for Israel that they actually began pushing in favor of it.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Also, it's quite interesting that this alleged fear wasn't large enough to get all of the Arabs in Israel to flee. I mean, large numbers of Arabs remained in the Galilee even after the end of the Israeli War of Independence.
It is also interesting that pretty much all Jews were gone from the Arab states.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It is also interesting that pretty much all Jews were gone from the Arab states.
Yes--and it would certainly be fair to include compensation for them for their lost property in any package that deals with the Palestinian right of return. That said, though, ironically, the Zionist project significantly benefited from this massive influx of Jews from Muslim countries since it provided more manpower and a larger workforce for Israel.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
For different reasons in different places. When Algeria passed it's theological purity laws in 1963 denying citizenship to non-Muslims, most Jews left. There wasn't any large-scale persecution.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
For different reasons in different places. When Algeria passed it's theological purity laws in 1963 denying citizenship to non-Muslims, most Jews left. There wasn't any large-scale persecution.
Then Algeria was an exception.

etc.