How reunification impacted German society during the 1990s.

Jun 2019
United Kingdom
My name is Charlotte and I am an A Level student from England, studying history, art and German. I am currently researching the social impacts of German reunification from 1990 to the early 2000s for my Extended Project Qualification, which will help me to develop useful skills for university, where I hope to study history next year. I have created a questionnaire aimed at people who lived in Germany at the beginning of and/or during the process of reunification of the country, regarding changes in culture, living standards and language. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

What was the most significant change in German society as a result of reunification? An exploration into culture, language and living standards.

Reactions: Futurist

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
From the West German point of view the big question was whether they would let the East German Trabant car on the Autobahn. It could generate all of 26 hp. Its maximum speed was 100 kph (62 mph) and it took a while to get there. However it was not made of cardboard as some have said. It was made of recycled plastic and buyers could not choose its color.

The 'cardboard racer,' Communist East Germany's answer to the VW Beetle, debuts

Last edited:

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
It generated a sort of short mini boom for the economy as the east germans got an exchange rate of 1 to 1, ost marks for west marks. The east germans went on a spending spree. Many then lost their jobs as the newly privatisd east german businesses could not compete economically. Some east germans moved to the west where west germans complained about them coming for 'their jobs'. Ironically I heard some people who had fled East Prussia at the end of the war make this complaint.

The biggest impact however was on the citizens of the former GDR. When the Stasi files were opened, people could access the info and discovered who had been spying on them. People were shocked at who had betrayed them, often family members. The records are now online.

Coming to Terms: Dealing with the Communist Past in United Germany

Jul 2019
Universe
with fresh inflow of poorer East Germans into richer West and incorporation of their region German Economy received bog boom for a short period of time.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I'd think an A level student from an English speaking country would understand the affect-effect thing and thus not waffle by using impact as a verb, as is common now.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
I'd think an A level student from an English speaking country would understand the affect-effect thing and thus not waffle by using impact as a verb, as is common now.
I read it as a noun and find no fault with the grammar.

Reactions: authun

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
"researching the social impacts of German reunification" would read better as "researching the social impact of German reunification". Doesn't need to be plural because it can mean "a marked effect or influence" and can be wide ranging.

Jun 2019
United Kingdom
Thank you for your responses, however I don't suppose anyone would be so kind as to fill out the survey that I have posted. This would be of much help to my research.
Thanks in advance for your time.