How should historical conflicts and territorial disputes be settled?

Jun 2017
maine
If this solution won't actually work for one or both sides, then I'm not sure that there actually is an alternative solution to this problem. I don't think that Serbia would be willing to give up on every single last inch of Kosovo,
This is a good example of a situation where a mediator might be very effective. My guess is that the non-Christian side has little idea of the importance that Kosovo has in the mind and history of eastern Christianiity--while, at the same time, self-determination is a real player here.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This is a good example of a situation where a mediator might be very effective. My guess is that the non-Christian side has little idea of the importance that Kosovo has in the mind and history of eastern Christianiity--while, at the same time, self-determination is a real player here.
Yeah, AFAIK, Kosovo is Serbia's version of Jerusalem since the 1389 Battle of Kosovo was fought there--a battle that helped create the modern Serbian nation even though Serbia lost this battle.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
According to census records, there were 82 people who were born in Scandinavia living in Georgia in 1860. This figure excludes all those of Scandinavian ancestry.
Interesting. That said, though, this was a mere drop in the bucket in comparison to Georgia's total population, which was 1,057,286 in 1860.

Nov 2019
Memphis TN
For example Hawaii, The U.S.A. Civil War, The Israeli-Palestinian conflict, The Northern Ireland conflict, The Balkans Wars, The Falklands, and the mainland Chinese vs the Taiwanese. I know these are issues and subjects which tend to get folks worked up (which is understandable). Here we can hopefully discuss things here in a civil manner. If you were a mediator how would determine who was right and who was wrong and what belongs to whom?
The only way they have ever been handled..

“Right by conquest “..

People love it while they are doing the conquering , but once they have conquered a place it is like “whoa!! We are not barbarians. So no one can reconquer this place from us ??? Right??”

See any rules you set only matter if some governing body is there to enforce them.. so it all boils down to the military and always has... always will..

The only times it does not is when someone with a better military ALLOWS a stare to be independent... but that is only backed by that threat of military action if someone invades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
They know and they don't care. They consider themselves autochtonous and believe that not only Kosovo, but Preševo, Western Macedonia, other parts of Serbia, southern Montenegro and northern parts of Greece belong to them.