How the Great Pyramid was built

Feb 2019
Egypt
The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramids may have been able to move massive stone blocks across the desert by wetting the sand in front of a contraption built to pull the heavy objects, according to a new study.
Physicists at the University of Amsterdam investigated the forces needed to pull weighty objects on a giant sled over desert sand, and discovered that dampening the sand in front of the primitive device reduces friction on the sled, making it easier to operate. The findings help answer one of the most enduring historical mysteries: how the Egyptians were able to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of constructing the famous Pyramids.
To make their discovery, the researchers picked up on clues from the ancient Egyptians themselves. A wall painting discovered in the ancient tomb of Djehutihotep, which dates back to about 1900 B.C., depicts 172 men hauling an immense statue using ropes attached to a sledge. In the drawing, a person can be seen standing on the front of the sledge, pouring water over the sand, said study lead author Daniel Bonn, a physics professor at the University of Amsterdam. Justmeandthepyramids...ImagebySarahReid.jpg

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
A doco on tv " ........ (some name ) 's Boat " (sorry, going on memory here ) - a recently discovered diary of a boat 'captain' who used to haul building blocks showed; a reconstruction of the boat (mazing, no nails screws or 'puzzle joints' - it was drilled and tied together ), they found a disassembled boat in a cave and near where the stones where quarried the remains of a wooden 'track' to take wooden rollers .

I am not suggesting this was the only method, but it is something we have evidence of.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
They found a second hermetically sealed barque; it is supposed to be rebuilt and put inside the National Museum, iirc. There were many boat burials, but none like these, for pharaoh.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The ancient Egyptians who built the pyramids may have been able to move massive stone blocks across the desert by wetting the sand in front of a contraption built to pull the heavy objects, according to a new study.
Physicists at the University of Amsterdam investigated the forces needed to pull weighty objects on a giant sled over desert sand, and discovered that dampening the sand in front of the primitive device reduces friction on the sled, making it easier to operate. The findings help answer one of the most enduring historical mysteries: how the Egyptians were able to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of constructing the famous Pyramids.
To make their discovery, the researchers picked up on clues from the ancient Egyptians themselves. A wall painting discovered in the ancient tomb of Djehutihotep, which dates back to about 1900 B.C., depicts 172 men hauling an immense statue using ropes attached to a sledge. In the drawing, a person can be seen standing on the front of the sledge, pouring water over the sand, said study lead author Daniel Bonn, a physics professor at the University of Amsterdam.
This still fails to explain how the ancient Egyptians lifted these blocks 450' to the top of the pyramid.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
According to Houdin's theories, the relieving blocks were raised using a counterbalance which ran through the Grand Gallery on tracks..
Houdini was pretty smart, with an inquiring and sceptical mind. Do you have a link for that I could look at?

Other things I've read include the use of massive ramps, built of brick and sand as the filler.

Another one was that canals were built right up to the pyramid sites, to transport the huge blocks.

Slightly OT, and hearsay: I once asked an architect friend if the pyramid is an advanced design, He said no;. that it is the simplest and most stable form for such large buildings. The Egyptians rarely used the true arch, and did not use the dome or flying buttress . Also worth considering that the design took them a few tries to master.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Houdini was pretty smart, with an inquiring and sceptical mind. Do you have a link for that I could look at?

Other things I've read include the use of massive ramps, built of brick and sand as the filler.

Another one was that canals were built right up to the pyramid sites, to transport the huge blocks.

Slightly OT, and hearsay: I once asked an architect friend if the pyramid is an advanced design, He said no;. that it is the simplest and most stable form for such large buildings. The Egyptians rarely used the true arch, and did not use the dome or flying buttress . Also worth considering that the design took them a few tries to master.
You bet! Here is one:
I think this is a better one:

Mar 2018
UK
This still fails to explain how the ancient Egyptians lifted these blocks 450' to the top of the pyramid.
Ramp that winds around the pyramid as it goes up has always seemed like the simplest and most banal answer to me. Something like:

Needs far less material than a straight ramp and can be done with a shallow enough angle that it isn't implausible to drag the blocks up. I read a detailed numerical analysis once and it all seemed to add up fine.

Similar History Discussions